What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to install autopilot pitch servo bracket?

Oliver

Well Known Member
We just started working on our RV-10 empennage kit.

I was wondering, whether we should already install the bracket for the autopilot pitch servo?

Looking at pictures, it appears as whether it would be much easier to do this during the construction of the empennage than at the end of the build!?!

Then again, there is the argument that avionics or our preferences might have changed until then.

What are your thoughts?

We just started working on our RV-10 empennage kit.

I was wondering, whether we should already install the bracket for the autopilot pitch servo?

Looking at pictures, it appears as whether it would be much easier to do this during the construction of the empennage than at the end of the build!?!

Then again, there is the argument that avionics or our preferences might have changed until then.

What are your thoughts?

The pitch servo is not at all hard to install later. There's plenty of access to that area until close to the end of the build when you'll install the top skin over that section.

The pitch servo bracket installs using existing scores & nutplates. It's simply a matter of unscrewing a half dozen screws, setting the bracket in place and replacing the screws. It's certainly easier before installing the forward tail one skin, but even doing it through the baggage door is probably less than a 15-20 minute job (vs 5-10 minutes) if the skin isn't yet installed. That skin doesn't get installed any earlier than when the fiberglass cabin top is installed for the final time.

I would put it as a 2 minute job either way. I would wait, because some servos are easier to install to the bracket, at least partially, before it is installed.

I would wait until after you have all your wiring done from the tail section forward along with the static lines and any elt stuff and wiring for trim servos and such. If you put it in now when you go to do the wiring that bracket will be in your way ND or you will have to lay on it to do any work in the tail section.
I wouldn't even put the battery and such like that in. Once the skin that attaches the tail section to the cabin top is on then it will be easier to final put all that other stuff in.
I basically mocked everything up. Oxygen, elt, battery, servo. Took it out and this week it is all going in for good.

It's certainly easier before installing the forward tail one skin, but even doing it through the baggage door is probably less than a 15-20 minute job (vs 5-10 minutes) if the skin isn't yet installed.

This.

You have lots of time. You're going to want to wait to rivet the forward upper tail skin until the plane is almost complete (wiring especially).

perhaps one small thing to do

If installing the DYNON AP system, as all have said, the servo attach bracket uses existing holes/nut plates. I did go ahead and locate and drilled out the hole (#12) in the elevator control arm for the servo attachment according to the DYNON installation instructions. Then I made and riveted in a spacer plate (to avoid using washers or...). Can all be done after the fact but seemed easiest while assembling/riveting that component.
Cheers, Mike

Back