What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

when to install A-914 Aileron Control Stops?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
The manual is a bit thin here... it says "Assemble the A-914 Aileron bracket assemblies as shown on DWG 13. Install them on the rear spar..."

When I look at the drawing, I see that the assembly includes 4 pre-punched parts, a bearing, and the A-914 Aileron Control Stop. There is a detail of how to fabricate this bit from angle.

My question is, do you just make the part, install it in the prepunched holes (which locates it) and then later hope / find out if the control deflections are OK? Or can I add the control stop much later, like when hanging the aileron?

I see some have installed delrin, but it looked like there were maybe some fit issues on an RV-9.

Thanks,

dave

Dave-

Wait until both wings are on the plane. Since the the up stop on one wing is also the down stop on the other wing, there's really no way to know if you've got good travel in both directions until both wings are on at the same time. You might get lucky but I found that the original stops I made when I did my wings had to be redone when I got both wings on at the same time.

Also, on the -9, the delrin idea doesn't work unless you want a really big delrin washer sticking up--it requires something 1.125" in diameter I believe. At first I thought a smaller one would work, seeing it on a flying -9, but I think that person had way too much aileron travel based on how small his washer was. Actually, once you figure out how it all works, the per plans stops work just fine once you get the stop sized right. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

that's just what I needed

Thanks Steve... looking at it I think what I'll do is drill the holes through both pieces of the bracket (they come from Vans only through one), get that all clean & deburred, and then when the wings are on I can (hopefully easily) make & install the stops.

Love the quick responses on these forums....

Back