What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to drill fuse side bolt holes for main gear?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm drilling the fuselage side skins to the structure. The plans call for (5) AN3 bolt holes just forward of the main spar. These are to attach the main landing gear (9A) socket weldments. The holes go thru the side skins, and lots of underlaying structure.

Can I drill these holes now, or is is better to leave them as is (prepunched for -3 rivets) until I"m fitting the gear weldments?

Thanks for any help,

dave

Wait till later when the wings are fitted and all the bolts are through the weldments, bulkhead and screws started in the spar. You can final drill the holes in the fuse at the rear of the weldment just don't drill the weldment. Leave the front two holes for the forward support bar on the weldment for final assmebly.

Thanks Darrell - I think what you are saying is to drill the (5) rearmost holes in the fuselage now (but not thru the weldment) and then later attach the weldment and match dril it to the fuse. Makes sense, since the weldment has no holes.

And also leave the (2) forward holes undrilled everywhere for now.

Thanks again!

Thanks Darrell - I think what you are saying is to drill the (5) rearmost holes in the fuselage now (but not thru the weldment) and then later attach the weldment and match dril it to the fuse. Makes sense, since the weldment has no holes.

And also leave the (2) forward holes undrilled everywhere for now.

Thanks again!

Exactly... and on the front two holes for the support weldment you will only be able to drill one hole from the inside during final assy. The other hole is exactly centered 1" over, you can level it with the rivet line and drill it from the outside. I guess if you wanted to #40 pilot hole from the inside you could do that as well.

No reason to drill the five holes early. Wait until you are ready to drill thru the weldment. Step up from #40 to #30 on up to the finish size. Here's my log entry on this from 11-29-2005:

Before drilling the bolt holes thru the 970 skin/lower longeron into the landing gear mount, I put a bolt in the top and bottom outboard gear mount to wing spar holes where the outboard 1/4" bolts thru the wing spar would be. This helped to make sure the gear was flush with the 904 bulkhead before drilling. Next I drilled the five hole each gear mount and put bolts in each hole. Cleaned out the shaving using my steel measure before putting in the bolts. Then on to the forward screws, two on each mount. The forward most hole is behind the 902 bulkhead so this presented a challenge. First I drilled the hole not behind the 902 bulkhead. From the outside I measured from the center of the hole to the bottom edge of the 970 skin, marked and drew a line parallel to the skin edge that distance from the skin edge. The holes are 1" from center to center, so I put a marked 1" forward of the hole. I drilled this with a 1/16" bit to make sure I rung the hole in the gear mount, then enlarged to #40, then #30, then #12. This worked well, or maybe I was just lucky. Once drilled, I countersunk and bolted in the screws on the right side.]

Hope this helps.

Thanks for asking the question

I'm drilling the fuselage side skins to the structure. The plans call for (5) AN3 bolt holes just forward of the main spar. These are to attach the main landing gear (9A) socket weldments. The holes go thru the side skins, and lots of underlaying structure.

Can I drill these holes now, or is is better to leave them as is (prepunched for -3 rivets) until I"m fitting the gear weldments?

Thanks for any help,

dave

I was working on the same issue over the Memorial Day weekend, wondering when to drill these 5 holes. Thanks for posting the question.

If you will go ahead a drill the five holes you can mark the steel weldment and check placement and edge distance on the weldment. It will also allow you to debur the inside if these holes when you remove the weldment to inspect for good hole edge distance. If you want, stay a size or so small. When you drill the weldment you can step up and then ream for a nice tight fit.

Back