What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to call the DAR?

PilotBrent

Well Known Member
I'm very close to installing the fuel tank into the fuselage and once I do I really don't want to remove it if the DAR wants to look into the tail or at other spots not accessible any longer. For those of you going the E-LSA route, did you contact the DAR for 2 separate visits (and expense i assume) or am I safe to finish everything up first?

You need to contact your DAR as ask how he/she wants to handle it.

Personally, I want to see all flight control connections and all fuel connections.

One option to discuss with your DAR is the taking of many detailed pics of the area below the tank and behind the bulkhead. My DAR wanted to see a taxi /brake test, which meant that the tank had to be installed and the plane running. And, he wanted not to be there for many hours for eyeballing that stuff then waiting for the tank to be installed. The pics sufficed.

Vans should just split the rear bulkhead and eliminate this problem. Van's personal RV12 has the bulkhead split just like in the mods thread. It is a touchy issue but your DAR might be OK with a split bulkhead or depending on their familiarity with the 12 may have no idea it is not supposed to be like that, or even care. After all, it is YOU that has to sign the statement that you built it per plans (and could have a split bulkhead installed later that same day so whats the big deal) and that's on your conscience. Are all your tie-wraps exactly per the plans? Sheesh.

I know, I know, I know ... Regulation ABCDEF 123xyz.aabbcc blah blah blah get real blah blah blah

"A difference that MAKES no difference, IS no difference." -Spock

Earlier is better for most of the reasons posted already. Another consideration is to make sure there is no problem with Phase 1 flight testing from the airport you intend to use.

My concern too

My DAR wanted the plane airworthy before inspection but I had the same concern when it actually came to the day of the inspection. As it turned out he was fine with manipulating the controls with the stick and then moving the control surfaces to determine proper connections, or at least this was my impression as I watched him check out the plane.

He had me busy working on weight and balance limits, light, heavy, CG forward, and CG back. Most of these numbers are in the POH.

I agree with Mel...contact the DAR and ask.

Pet Peeve alert!

Just to "nit-pick", let's all try to get away from the term "airworthy".

Your aircraft should be "ready for flight" and "in a condition for safe operation".

An aircraft without a type certificate can never truly be "airworthy" by definition.

If you have an A&P everyone trust at your airport, check with him for a DAR he is used to work with. Here is what happened after I did that: the DAR recommended by the A&P had been working with him for 30 years and they trust each other. When I called the DAR and mentioned the issue of the tail cone not being accessible once the tank installed he told me (nickname changed for privacy) "ask Bill to have a look inside the tailcone before you close it". There is no substitute to trust created by long term relationship. :cool:

Just to "nit-pick", let's all try to get away from the term "airworthy".

Your aircraft should be "ready for flight" and "in a condition for safe operation".

An aircraft without a type certificate can never truly be "airworthy" by definition.

Mel is technically right so why do your Federal Government Officials/Representatives approve experimental aircraft with a "Special Airworthiness Certificate".

From FAR 3.5 Airworthy means the aircraft conforms to its type design and is in a condition for safe operation.

In the "Standard Airworthiness Certificate" world this is taken to be the Type Certificate Data Sheet which experimentals do not have.

We do have limitations, W&B, equipment list, and are required to keep most of the records in the 91.400s.

Maybe it's just one of those government inconsistencies we hear about from time to time. Maybe we are just special!

Mine wanted the inspection ports open and cowling off. The bulkhead was not considered an inspection port. After I flew off the test hours I added several inspection ports on the belly so inspection is now simple. I think it would be a good change for Vans to consider. I've always thought pulling out the fuel tank once a year can cause more problems than it is worth.

Back