What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When to buy the Extra's?

JoeB

My whirlwind progress has slowed, but I am building the wings right now.
at what point do I need to start buying the extra stuff that VANS doesn't send me. Auto pilot servo's ect.
Also....... does anyone have a list of the extra stuff they put in that was not standard that needs to be installed before everything is sealed up>?

thanks

Joe

A lot of the extra things improve with time. we purchased our servos for the auto pilot and ended up having to send them back for better ones. If you install the mount for the servo you can always install the servo later and get the most current ones. With that said, it is sure nice to finish a wing servo ,lights and pitot etc, complete. I hate working out of materials, but there is a price to working my way. Some things get returned and other things don't end up getting used. I'm always working on something so they eventually get used somewhere.
Ron

Joe,

On the RV-10 there are very few things that you must buy before getting into the finish kit stage. For the tail kit about the only thing are the static ports and tubing since access to that area is difficult later. Van's does sell an AHRS mount for the tailcone that is easier to install while you're building but can be retrofitted later without much pain. I'd also recommend some conduit from the forward bay to the aft bay to make running wire easier later.

Autopilot pitch and roll servos are very easy to install later.

Give me a call or email if you'd like to swing by and take a fresh look at "stuff".

Bob

Brain cramp - you're on the wings now! Pretty much the same applies, only thing you need to worry about is if you're going to install a heated pitot tube you'll need to get the mount in place before riveting on the bottom wing skin.

Autopilot roll servos can pretty easily be installed through the access panel where the aileron bellcrank is. It's probably a little quicker to install without the wing skin on but only adds a few minutes to the job if you've already got it buttoned up.

Conduit isn't a bad idea from the root to the tip isn't a bad idea but wiring/tubing can still be run through the stock snap bushings with things closed up.

Bob

Deluxe locking fuel caps, heated pitot, ap servo, roll trim, all wiring thru bushings completed with wing kit. Only because I knew exactly what I wanted and that I was finishing in two years flat. If not for that I would have waited on all but pitot tube mount and fuel caps.

It depends on what you are planning on installing. Since I was planning on air conditioning, I could not get past the tail feathers without getting the A/C kit, which needed to be built into the tailcone. I also wanted to pre-install my strobe and power supply into the tail, so those things got ordered. Oh, and the ELT, so I could do the unit and antenna mounts. And also the built-in oxygen bottle. Then there's the pitch servo for the autopilot, the static kit, and so on. For the wings, I needed the strobes, trim and roll servos, pitot kits (heat and Safeair connections) and lights. When you move to the fuselage, you'll want all your antennae, etc.; I needed my AHRS to fabricate a mount, my ignition control boxes and VP200 boxes to locate those and fabricate mounts and so on. The entire process of building a kit-plane becomes a materials management problem and you have to balance between having things on-hand and potentially sitting around unused until you need them with having to wait until something arrives to proceed.

I tend to err on the side of having things sit around, if possible, but notice that I haven't ordered my engine yet; there's nothing in the construction that requires it until the airframe is pretty complete. On the other hand, I've had my TruTrak servos for a couple of years now. If TT changes them, I won't worry because the ones I have will work just fine. Trying to install only the latest and greatest can be a zero-sum game sometimes; what if you order your servos just before you are ready to install and, while they are in transit, a new model comes out? The ones that arrive didn't suddenly become useless just because a new model came out. Chasing a newer version is fine if it doesn't cost you or hold up your timeline but otherwise let it go and work with what you have. That's why my RV-6A is still chugging alone on the BMA EFIS; it works - even though BMA went under and other products are now much nicer.

Back