What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When do I need to electroeducate myself?

larrynew

Well Known Member
At what point in the build do I need to get up-to-speed on electrical? I don't want to get too far ahead of myself and lose sight of the task at hand. I plan on getting Bob Nuckolls book and immersing myself in all things electrical when the time comes but when is that time?

It's not a $ thing; it's just more fun to learn everything I can about a new phase when it arises. Plus, it keeps me from cluttering up my brain with things I don't need at the moment. I'm waiting for wings. I don't want to go back and redo electrical connections and such because I used the wrong technique or tool.

Thanks,

Avionics resource

There is a good training CD available from 'Avionics Hangar.' The EAA website has some good video on basics .

It's never too early...

There are a number of RV's with strobes and VOR antennas in the top of the vertical stab. That requires planning from the get go.

I would get Bob's book in order to get a feel for aircraft electrics. I would also study the sample schematics which came with your preview plans. More importantly though, I would decide on my airframe lighting and electrical needs. Things such as strobes, nav lights, pitot heat, landing and taxi lights, etc..should be decided upon so you have an idea of conduit and wiring needs as you build your wings.
The panel electronics, although you are probably already thinking about them, can wait until you get further along.

the basics

well, ya got yer AC and ya got yer DC.........

ya got yer NEGATIVE and ya got yer POSITIVE.......

Easy, huh:D

No, really, its not difficult at all. Just ask questions as you go.

Dave (EE PE)
-9A finish kit
N514R reserved

Larry, I took the SportAir electrical class (the "hands on" time is invaluable--books cant teach that) and also have Bob's book. Both are excellent and recommended. I took the class in Sept and I am now about halfway through my wings...and I kind of feel I took it too early. I did use my new wiring/soldering skills on the capacitance plates in the fuel tanks (not too complicated)...and there is some very simple wiring in the wings that is still ahead of me. But at this point I really havent used what I learned. I already feel like I need to go back and review when real wiring emerges on the project. If I did it again, I would wait until longer into the project so the knowledge might be fresher. YMMV...

Last edited:
electroeducate?

When 9 or 10 I accidently touch the prongs of a plug while pushing it into a wall socket. I was electroeducated!

Seriously, all good advise has been given. Read and understand Bob Nuckolls book and you will be a real smart guy. But if you keep it simple, Van's electrical kit is a good place to start. It will take care of the basic airframe stuff--alternator, battery, starter, voltage regulation, lights, fuel pump, flaps, etc. Someone was right when they told me it is just one wire at a time. For the radio gear, Steinair can provide a custom harness and wiring diagram that make even that stuff simple. My biggest challenges were related to running wires and pitot/airspeed tubing from one place to another. You need to determine how your panel is going to be equipped before closing things up. For example, those two little holes Van's has you drill in the center section for wiring aren't sufficient especially if the manual trim is occupying one of them.

Electroeducate

Regarding book sources I would recommend in the following order:
1. Aeroelectric Connection by Bob Nuckolls. Very thorough, practical, and you get the benefit of his extensive experience.
2. Aircraft Wiring and Electrical Installation by Avotek. Practical nuts and bolts book about exactly what the title says.
3. Aircraft Electrical and Electronic Systems - Principles, Maintenance and Operation by Mike Tooley and David Wyatt. Also throrough, a little more theoretical than (2) and less hands on.

If you are waiting for wings now is a great time to READ #1 (also #2 and #3), then you will have the basics and know where to look to get more detailed advice when you come to a particular problem.

I did a LOT of preplanning of what equipment I wanted to install in the wings and wingtips. Without the research and understanding provided by the references, I wouldn't have been able to do it. I considered EMI interference from strobe wire sources when I planned the coax routing of the tip mounted NAV antennas in the wingtips. Also the routing of the autopilot wires separate from the resistive loads among many others. Then I drilled the ribs for snap bushings and installed nylon anchors on the spar webs to support the wires. You'll want to make sure you don't interfere with the aileron pushrods.

Your airplane and the equipment you decide to install will be unique. Spend the time now and plan not only for installation but maintenance during the life of the aircraft.

Hmmm wings are closed

You need to install wires before you close your wings up.
Steve Barnes "The Builders Coach"

My wings are closed up with only the pitot wiring installed. I do however have conduit and a sting located where wires and RG400 will go.

Maybe I am missing something, it would not be the first time. Thinking things through is part of the puzzle that is easy to miss sometimes.

Cheers

AeroElectric Connection

I would start reading Aeroelectric Connection by Bob Nuckolls immediately. Start with the last few chapters first, then refer to the first. The reason you should start reading it early is that there is a lot to it, and you will have to read areas multiple times to really understand it. The first 2/3 is heavy on theory but the last few chapters are the good stuff which is very interesting. Reading AeroElectric Connection early will get you thinking about the myriad of decisions you will have to make with respect to the electrical system in your plane. It doesn't hurt to put a lot of thought into your electrical sytem.

Back