What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

When can I install the wing-tips?

TCONROY

Well Known Member
As fall/winter sets in here in Oregon I'm trying to get a list together of what I'd like to accomplish. We've pretty much completed the finishing kit other than cutting and bonding the canopy. I was hoping to do it this summer but was just too busy. I've just finished the wheels/brakes and am going to cut the heater box hole in the firewall next. I'm thinking the next task could be installing the wing-tips. My plan is to use the Click-Bond nutplates. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this now? Both wings are in a cradle right now. Is it easiest to install the tips while the wings are flat on a workbench or vertical in the cradle? Should I install the metal plate Van's sends for neutralizing the ailerons on both sides to lock them in place?

Any tips appreciated!

as I recall, the aileron is neutralized by lining up the lightening holes and making sure the aileron is in trail with the airfoil.

Once the ailerons are in trail the wingtips can be installed. I installed them in the cradle but they can be done on the airplane, on a table... doesn't matter.

Pressure on the trailing edge to bulge the tips out so they touch the skins and then taping with gorilla tape will make the drilling go faster. Cleco as you go. Make sure though that the tips are inserted to the point that the step in the gel coat matches the skin to your liking. It's not that big-a-deal once you jump in.

Last edited:
Trevor,

Install the wingtips after the ailerons are set in the neutral position. That way you can be assured that the trailing edges will line up properly. (Many have done the opposite only to find out later that the wingtips wouldn't line up with the ailerons:eek:)

Step 1 - The W-730 aileron bellcrank jig simply sets the WD-421 belcrank in the neutral position.
Step 2 - The actual aileron itself is aligned using the 'Tooling Holes' on the wing tip rib and aileron trailing edge. That is shown in one of the wing kit DWG's.
Step 3 - Install your wingtips, paying special attention to trailing edge alignment to the aileron (which should now be in the neutral position.)
Step 4 - If the wings are attached to the fuselage, now is a good time to complete your aileron pushtubes and set the 'up stops'.

Hey Trevor, We miss talking to you when calling AFS, but we are happy that you are following your dreams. If you ever get down this way let us know. Regarding the tips: After following Joe's instruction, I highly recommend going to your local home supply, acquire a peice of the cheap blue foam used for insulation about 3/4 thick, cut a chunk off, make a temp rib full width of the wing by holding it against the wing, tap it with your hand or lightly with a malet to imprint the airfoil of the wing. after cutting the shape it will fit inside of the tip and hold it firm against the wing skin. This really helps when drilling and holding it in place. Having installed more than 10 sets, doing this with the wings on the bench or saw horses works well for me. Of course other approaches will also work well.
I am sending this picture to remind you of the canopy attach pins we talked about a time back. Larry

erjxw7.jpg

Thanks for all the great tips! One dumb follow-up question. If the wings are not installed permanently on the fuse yet, how does one keep the ailerons locked in the in-trail neutral position for wing-tip fitting?

In the cradle

Hey Trevor,

Look on the left side of the opening page under articles. I put together an install guide for the tips, including some reinforcement.

Makes the process very easy.

Thanks for all the great tips! One dumb follow-up question. If the wings are not installed permanently on the fuse yet, how does one keep the ailerons locked in the in-trail neutral position for wing-tip fitting?

W-730 jig, plus some small bungee cords to hold the jig against the spar.

I just finished both wings, one at a time and then removed, including flaps, aileron, wingtip and wing root fairing (plus fuel lines, vent lines, etc.).

Install the aileron, use the jig on the bellcrank to set pushrod length with aileron properly in trail (using tooling holes and trailing edge as stated). Then install wingtip and flap. You should end up with one continuous line along the entire wing trailing edge, from fuselage to wingtip.

One other tip, don't know if it's mentioned in the articles or not...when first mounting the wingtip, it's likely it won't fit tightly against the leading edge flange of the wing itself. There will be a gap between the tip and the skin of the wing. We used a cargo strap to pull the wingtip forward to "seat" tightly into the leading edge of the wing before drilling. Worked very well on two aircraft so far, resulting in a nice, tight seam between the wing and the wingtip. YMMV.

Steve

Trevor,

When I installed my ailerons, I made an alignment jig out of a solid piece of oak, to precisely align the tooling holes with the trailing edge of the aileron:

100_5598%20(Small).JPG

It attaches to the wing with standard AN hardware through the tooling holes, like this. I drew lines on both sides of the bolt holes and extended them out to the end of the piece:

100_5601%20(Small).JPG

Then I drilled a peep hole right at the end so you can look through the hole and see where the end tip of the aileron is. Adjust the length of the pushrod as necessary until you get it right.

100_5600%20(Small).JPG

I saved this piece of oak, because I haven't done my wingtips yet either. You're welcome to borrow it if you like! Let me know. I can get it to you next time I come down to Vans.

I'm hoping it can be left in place while the wingtip is fitted in place, while the wings are in the stand.

All of the above advice is good.

Get both wings on.
Align ailerons with good tools
Use foam rib from DIY store
Use straps to pull tip forward to nest well in leading edge

I will add to the list

Drill #40!!!, cleco and look!
I was able to fix a trailing edge misalignment in the step between #40 and #30 just by pulling things into position during the hole upsize.

Trevor,

When I installed my ailerons, I made an alignment jig out of a solid piece of oak, to precisely align the tooling holes with the trailing edge of the aileron:

I just used a long level, laid atop 3 pieces of rod inserted into 2 tooling holes and the trailing edge of the aileron. Seems considerably simpler and less time-consuming, but YMMV.

It depends on whether you care to get tip , aileron AND flap perfectly aligned,

If not, go ahead and do it in the wing jig.

Thank you for all the great suggestions and tips! I've got the Click-Bond fasteners on order and have a good idea of how to get these tips on so they are straight, tight, and true to the trailing edge.

As always, this site is invaluable!

Back