What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelen LED position/strobe light questions

Tankerpilot75

Well Known Member
I recently installed Whelen LED wing tip landing lights that I bought from Team AeroDynamix. I am very pleased with the results and just wish they offered a kit to add an additional LED landing light right below the engine cowling just at the top of the nose wheel gear. I'd like to light up the area that I'm taxiing towards and not just the sides of the taxiway. A small LED light (similar to the Whelen LED landing light) around the top of the nose gear attaching where the two screws that clamp the base of the cowling to the aircraft would probably significantly help illuminate the runway during landings and not add a significant amount of drag.

Anyway my here's my position/strobe light questions: Is there a relatively inexpensive way to convert my existing Whelen (bulb type) position/strobe light system to LED position/strobe lights? The prices I'm seeing for LED Position/Strobe Systems are HIGH! I assume those kits include the controller that mounts behind the cargo compartment. Can't I just replace the lights themselves with LED lights like I did with landing lights? Does anyone know the price of the basic lights?

I read a thread where someone melted their wing tip lens with their strobe light due to excessive heat. I have also experienced a similar lens deformation from a position light being too close to the lens. I think LED position/strobes would help to reduce the likelihood of this occurring again.

Which specific model strobes/nav lights do you have on your wingtips now? Photo?

If they are Whelen, there are probably same-footprint LED replacements available (I got mine from Team Aerodynamix), and where the older stype strobes have power packs, the LED lights don't. In one airplane I used the existing wiring from the old strobes, pulled out the power packs in each wing, and hooked up the LEDs.

The LEDs do not have or need a controller. Everything is built in. There is an option to run a light wire (22ga) between the wingtips so the two wingtip strobes sync their flashes with each other. So yes, you likely can just replace the lights and remove the weight of the power packs from the old strobes, as well.

Talk to Mike at Team Aero - he is good at making sure you have what you need.

Have you seen the flyleds kit? I am still building so I haven't flown with them yet, but I have built them and they are really nice. Check out the videos of them in use. Paul is a great guy to deal with too!

Back