What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

whelen flash interval

rjcthree

Well Known Member
Is there a reasonable way to decrease the flash frequency of a whelen strobe power supply, the standard 3-light one? The current frequency (full cycle) is roughly 3 Hz, which seems a bit fast.

I had it running, and it seems to do three starlights quick flashes the a single tail flash. It seems to be voltage independent, only current draw goes up slightly with reduced voltage. It draws a solid 8 amps while running.

Rick 90432

The TSO - and the FARs -

Is there a reasonable way to decrease the flash frequency of a whelen strobe power supply, the standard 3-light one? The current frequency (full cycle) is roughly 3 Hz, which seems a bit fast.

I had it running, and it seems to do three starlights quick flashes the a single tail flash. It seems to be voltage independent, only current draw goes up slightly with reduced voltage. It draws a solid 8 amps while running.

Rick 90432

-- specify 40 to 100 flashes per minute for each individual strobe lamp.

This is a maximum of 1.7 Hz - if your 3 Hz is correct, perhaps you should sent it back to Whelen...

Hmmmm

Well, I didn't have data aquisition running, so 3 Hz is a ballpark. It's not less than 2 though. Maybe I can set the dynon data aquisition up to take ammeter data and get an accurate number . . .the draw pattern is very unique.

100 flashes per minute max? Let's assume it on spec at 1.7 Hz. The starlight wingtips flash 3x for every one tail flash . . .the math says 150 or so flashes per minute for the tips then. Oooooops. Sure, the tail is at 100 fpm in that case, but the tip flashes have burned out your retinas.

Back to the why - yes, like everybody else, I'm worried about noise, which I suspect will be on the power line, not from the shielded cables out.

Yes, I need to meet the FARs but would rather do it at 50-60 FPM. Personally, I think it's more visible with a distinct pulse, but that's just me.

Rick 90432.

Back