What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whelan Strobe Power Supply Location

RV8R999

Well Known Member
Had anybody had any trouble with noise from their strobe power supply?

I'm trying to keep my CG forward and would like to keep the power supply up closer to the the spar area under the floor. Problem is that I want to put my comm ant there as well. Anyone have experience with a similar set-up?

Thanks,

ken

Ken, Mine is under the floor in my baggage compartment (RV-6). Although not in the same location as yours, it's close. From memory, I ran my stobe wires out into the wing separate from (ie. not bundled with) my ant wires .

No problems with interference. Works for this old H-3 and H-2 driver, might work for an H-60 guy too. Good luck. Build on!

KEN I PUT MINE BEHIND REAR BAGGAGE COMPARTMENT FAR FROM FLYING YET
BUT YOU CAN LOOK ON MY WEB SITE IN KIT LOG. MY UNDERSTANDING FROM SOME OF THE RV 8 PILOTS IS THEY SEEM TO LAND BETTER WITH A LITTLE AFT CG

Had anybody had any trouble with noise from their strobe power supply?

I'm trying to keep my CG forward and would like to keep the power supply up closer to the the spar area under the floor. Problem is that I want to put my comm ant there as well. Anyone have experience with a similar set-up?

Thanks,

ken

I put mine on top of the baggage floor behind the passenger seat on my RV6. The COMM antenna is mounted on the belly in roughly the same position behind the LH seat and I haven't noticed any interference. The transponder antenna is just in front of the spar on the RH side and the ELT antenna is on the spine just aft of the rear window. I was careful with gounding and made sure that the antenna and strobe cables didn't run close to each other.

Jim Sharkey

btw I work where they make the antenna yoke and MMR and Ku band radomes for the Romeo - hope you like them :) I also had a chance to "fly" the sales simulator at Lockheed's offices in Crystal City.

Thanks guys! Great info.

I worked very closely with many of the Telephonics team when we were developing and flight testing the 60R - top notch company and great people all around!

love the system...

Back