What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheels and Brakes - Which ones to use?

bhoppe2

Matco has introduced a wheel and brake package for the RV-10, model WHLWI600XLT-2. Does anyone have thoughts about whether the Matco wheels and brakes are preferred over the Grove wheels and brakes that Vans is now supplying as part of the Finish Kit? I also realize that the nose wheel supplied by Vans is the wrong one and Grove has a replacement. My question is about the mains.

Welcome to VAF!

Bruce, welcome to VAF. :D

There are hundreds of RV 10s flying now, and that gives a lot of credibility to the factory parts, at least as I see it.

Depending on what the airport constraints you fly out of are, it is probable that the factory stuff will do just fine for you.

That said, I have to admit that I installed the Matco front axle in my 10, and am glad I did so.

If I were to do any more mods to the wheels, I would probably first take a real hard look at the sealed bearing setup that Alan at AntiSplatAero is doing.

As far as I know only one person has reported using the new Matco brake setup, and he seems happy with it.

One big drawback to the factory brakes is that the pads are not very common, and cost a lot more than a lot of similar ones.

Also, consider adding long bolts and booster springs to the brake pedals/master cylinders.

Good luck, hope this helps you a bit.

I have installed the new Matco brakes on my RV-10. I can say that I am glad
I did it. They have 2 times the pad area as the stock brakes. I have had them on since before Oshkosh and so far very happy. Yes I would put them on a new
RV-10 if I was building. I think they are a better brake system.
Not necessary but a very nice improvement. FWIW

Geoff

Adding to the confusion, all the earlier (at least the first 800) kits came with Cleveland wheels and brakes for the mains, and these are the ones with pads that cost nearly $20 each.
Like Mike, I put in the 'correct' Matco nose wheel and improved bearing retaining system.
I know of one post that complained of brake fade with the Clevelands following an aborted takeoff. I personally wonder about that; I've made a few hard stops (but not that hard!) to make a turn off (I know, I converted rubber and pad material into expensive dust) and never felt any deterioration at all. I'm happy with the Clevelands, except for the pad price. Obviously I cannot comment on the Groves or Matco on the mains.

Last edited:
It appears that the new Matco brake and wheel assembly would be preferred just like gold is preferred over silver.
I am sure it is better than Van's stock, it should be, it has one more brake cylinder than the Clevland or grove brakes and double the pad area.
You simply have to decide if this is what you need and are willing to pay the price.
On stock brakes you can easily stop in a thousand feet or less if you have to. Correct approach and touch down speed is required to consistently perform in such a manner.
At just over 200 hours on my 10, I have not yet reached the half way point on my brake pads and admittedly I do not have to stop in a thousand feet
or less and in fact I make a habit of rolling out without using much brake at all.
Every so often I do a short field landing just to test skill and machine and I find no lack of braking effectiveness.
As to the $20 per pad...not sure I would worry about it, you'll need a set about every 300 hours for a whopping $80, or you can spend a few extra hundred on the gold plated Matco version. I don't think you'll be saving money and it all boils down to whether or not you need to land on very short runways on a regular basis.
As for the nose wheel, I have the much improved (over Vans Stock) Matco version.

Thanks for the comments. i am just beginning the build process, but do not want to reinvent the "wheel (or brake)". Looking at the Grove website, it appears that their RV-10 wheels and brakes are more expensive that Matco. I do not yet know what the Van's price/credit would be as part of the Finish Kit.

I am trying to capitalize on the experience of those of you that have preceeded me. I am waiting for my first shipment from Vans, but I have ordered everything including the Finish Kit in one shot. I still have time to make changes and deductions such as the nose wheel set up, windows and windshield, add door latches, change door seals, and other items to reduce buld time and improve quality. I have studied others comments in posts about the Finish Kit, which gave rise to my questions about wheels and brakes.

I have the new Matco version. I really like the feel and power of the new brakes. In my opinion you should have brakes that actually don't fade out if you have to abort a takeoff.

I do not yet know what the Van's price/credit would be as part of the Finish Kit.

Let us know what you find out about the price.
My guesstimate would be the Matco set will be about double of what the Vans price credit is for their own.

Making all these decisions was a fun part of building:)

I thing the Matco brake set is $918.00 not sure what the credit is on the Vans.
I have had brake fade when needing to get on the brakes and get off the runway quick a couple times with the old brakes. Did not use them much if roll out could be extended as others say they do. But now with the new brakes I can get on them if I need them and I know they will not fade.
As Sean said it is nice to know that they will stop you if needed.

Geoff

Matco

I will be adding the new Matco wheel and brakes this winter during my annual. The difference in energy absorption is incredible. The brakes will not fade like the stock brakes do.
I would probably be fine with the old brakes but since there is something better that offers a higher margin of safety, why not?

The new brakes and wheels sound great.

I'm just completing my 2nd condition inspection and found that my Matco nose wheel was cracked and requires replacement. Didn't expect that given zero nose wheel 'events'.

My flight profile probably differs from most. I live on a relatively rough grass field and rarely use the brakes for stopping at home. When away and operating on hardscape, I'm a light brake user. I still have very serviceable brake pads at 335 hours.

So what happened to my nosewheel? I'm thinking that on landings, I hold my nosewheel off as long as I can but what happens is when the mains hit a bump, the nosewheel comes down and bounces back up. That is repeated 2 or 3 times until the nosewheel stays down. Those nosewheel bounces may have caused the crack.

My mains are fine and crack free. And as I said, I've found the brakes long lasting and adequate. The new ones sound great.

I should add that the Vans stock brake lines have held up fine, rough field and all. The wheel pants are holding up well too despite longish grass at times and ruts.

No point here, just sharing my experience so far.

Back