What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel pants seals

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I saw a post by Mr Horton, and as usual his workmanship is outstanding (pic attached). This time it was for seals on wheel pants.

Since I’m fitting the pants this week, going the extra mile makes sense.

For those that have done this, what material proves best for the seal? And any gotchas or installation as straightforward as it looks?

Attachments

• IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 132
The blanks were molded on the top of the wheel pant with three plies of 9 oz plain weave and Shore A 80 urethane (PMC 780). The seal shapes were cut from the blanks and riveted to the inside of the pant after it was trimmed to size. More than stiff enough to span a gap 1" or more. Originally trimmed a bit tight, and allowed to wear into compliance with the tire.

Everybody asks about speed, but I don't have useful numbers. My previous pants were mounted very low over 5.00's and also had seals. In fact they were so low the entire bottom aft of the tire was rubber; clearance to asphalt with 50 psi was 3/4". Calipers were enclosed without a blister.

The new pants are much higher to clear 380's, so the game was reducing speed loss. They been on there since July, and I think I lost one knot, a fair trade given some of the grass places I've been. I elected to skip caliper blisters and accept whatever drag that entailed. Mounted thicker disks at the same time.

Attachments

• Seal Inside.jpg
    Seal Inside.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Molding.jpg
    Molding.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Caliper Cutout.jpg
    Caliper Cutout.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 99
Snip
The blanks were molded on the top of the wheel pant with three plies of 9 oz plain weave and Shore A 80 urethane (PMC 780).

Dan,

Did you use the wet or dry formula? I haven’t found what the difference is yet.

Thanks

Back