What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Pants and Fairing?

m3tt5

I have the older wheel pants on my RV6A and they are getting cracked. What about Bob Snedaker wheel pants and fairings? I need something that all I have to do is paint. Does anybody make any wheel pants and fairing like that? I am landing on grass so I like the older style wheel pants for the height. But they say the new pants and fairings will make me go faster.

I don't know much about Bob Snedaker's fairings...

....but Van's wheelpants are exceptionally fast. The newer, pressure recovery pants are quite a bit faster than the older, flat-sided ones.

The usual procedure in adjusting their height, is to tape a 1" wooden block to the top of the tire for the correct height.

Some guys have made that 1 1/2" for flying off rougher/taller grass strips, with little or no speed penalty,

Best,

wheel pants

I thought maybe Bob Snedaker from Fairing ETC might be ready to bolt on other than paint and were about the some thing as Van's. That is what I can tell from his website.

Fairings etc wheelpants?

I don't see any wheel pants on his website. Any wheel pant you buy is going to require some fitment.

Hans

Faring's Etc just offers the intersection fairings - you have to get the wheel pants elsewhere, and has been pointed out, the Van's pressure recovery fairings are very fast - in the air! Building? Well....it took Louise and I about a week of evenings and a weekend to install new pants and fairings on her plane a little over a year ago. Lots of fitting and fiberglass work. Since every RV is "custom", I doubt that there are any that will bolt on any airplane.

Paul

Thanks Paul I better just fix the ones I have. It don't sound like it is easy putting new ones on.

Pressure recovery pants???

Time for dumb questions. I recently had my first flight and am now up to about 14 hours. Happy days. So I figure I would like to go faster and maybe get my oil/cht temps down. When I bought my 6A kit back in October, it was a conglomeration of parts that I was hopeful of converting into a flying airplane. When I saw the wheel pants and various other fiberglass bits, I just assumed that I had the right stuff. So as I was reading thru some post on getting my wheel pants and leg fairings aligned, I notice that folks are using the term "Pressure Recovery". So I zip out to Vans web site and go to their parts lookup page. I put in "Pressure Recovery" for the search. But I don't get expected results. A propeller and the FAB (Filtered Air Box) are returned, but no mention of wheel pants. I look up wheel pants only to discover that they are the ones I already own. Am I missing something? Does Vans sell an alternative Wheel Pant? If so, what do they call it? http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin...9-454-708&browse=airframe&product=wheel-pants

They say, this has been their standard on finish kits since 1999. I was just curious about term. Perhaps there was a NON-Pressure recovery model prior to 1999?

Thanks

They say, this has been their standard on finish kits since 1999. I was just curious about term. Perhaps there was a NON-Pressure recovery model prior to 1999?

My 1996 RV6A came with the old type. For the mains, it was one piece. They are skinnier & have a buldge on the brake side. While finishing the airplane, I installed the new two piece pants on the mains, and kept the original for the nose gear. It was already two piece, but is shaped a bit different.

L.Adamson -- RV6A

Back