What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel pant tow hole protection

togaflyer

Well Known Member
I want to install some type of protection ring around the nose wheel pant tow hole. Is there a product out there or do I need to fabricate something. Any suggestion?

I know someone out there makes polished metal protection rings. Be careful though, the lineman may think its ok to tow from the reinforcement ring instead of the bolts. I extended my tow Pins/bolts to protrude beyond the wheel pant by just a slight amount just to make it clear that the pins are used for towing. I know of someone who had the wheel pant ripped off by a line guy pulling the plane with the "hole" and not the pin!

Here's a link to protection rings you can buy from FlyBoy Accessories.

Here's a link to a thread with some alternative ideas.
Yeah, those are nice but expensive, and they’re a different diameter than standard, apparently…I’ll re-install mine after I re-fiberglass the wheel pants again and can match the hole size. Meantime, I definitely see the need for extended 5/8 pins on the axle in order to mitigate damage from the bars on my Best Tugs tug.

Back