What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Pant Got The Shakes?

bhester

Well Known Member
Patron
Doug posted a pictures on the front page showing a bolt missing from his wheel pant. I also noticed something else that was missing. The safety wire that would have prevented the bolt from coming out.

IMG_00647.jpg

Last edited:
Bobby,
I used to use the safety wire till someone showed me to
use a star washer instead. Been using it every since with
no problems.

Back when I built my -8 in 2005, the drawings showed a non-drilld bolt - the nutplate in the axle nut was considerd the safety device. I've never had one come loose and any of our airplanes, but there is certainly no harm in a pair of suspenders with that belt if you are woried about it!

Paul

I do safety wire the bolt also but ...

The upper screw that comes through the fairing and into the bracket has come up missing on three ocassions. When it happens I use some low strength Loctite and it fixes the problem.

Bob Axsom

Wheel pant

Paul,
Interesting how the plans have changed or are not consistent. My 7A is the same vintage as your 8, my plans call for safety wire. Several ways to accomplish the task, I'm always learning from this group.

Gary
N715AB
RV7A
Close to 1,000 hours

Star Washer

Star washers are good but not great. While doing my condition inspection this year I found an engine bolt missing (um, I mean not installed) it had a star washer on it before it went missing. My exhaust hanger goes to that bolt which was a big factor to the problem.

IMG_00648.jpg

Picture taken while laying on a creeper while looking up.

Last edited:
I don't safety mine either and have never had one come loose, a drop of loctite helps. I also check them regularly when I pull the front half of the pant off to check tire pressure (this is why I don't like holes in pants to air tires, it "forces" you to have a look at things occasionally).

A drop or two of Locktite has fixed mine. No problem removing or reinstalling either. No pants on the ground now!

Faster too

I don't safety mine either and have never had one come loose, a drop of loctite helps. I also check them regularly when I pull the front half of the pant off to check tire pressure (this is why I don't like holes in pants to air tires, it "forces" you to have a look at things occasionally).

It makes my eyes squish up, my shoulders draw in and my knees clamp together like when the doctor snaps a rubber glove on his right hand when I hear about cutting holes in the fairings.

Bob Axsom

Back