What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel/Leg Fairings Install On Ground

Karetaker

Well Known Member
Howdy everyone. I am curious; once the wheel pants/leg fairings have been fitted and installed properly, do most jack the plane off the ground for all other remove and replace activities or do you R&R them with the plane on the ground? (Does it matter?)

I'm not sure that I understand the question. If you're just taking the wheel pants off for tire and brake inspections, there's no need to jack the plane up. However, if you want to spin the tire to check the bearings--or replace the tire or bearings--then you would have to jack the plane up. Whether you use the wing tie-down points as lifting points or use one of several jacking devices for lifting a main wheel off the ground is simply a matter of preference. There is much debate about this on this forum.

I should not have included wheel pants in my question. I am wondering if most people jack the plane to remove/install gear leg fairings or leave it on the ground when removing for routine maintenance, inspections, whatever.

......... jack the plane to remove/install gear leg fairings or leave it on the ground when removing for routine maintenance, inspections, whatever.
On a tapered rod gear RV, there's significant bow to the gear legs with weight on wheels, which puts strain on the leg fairings, so you'd have a hard time pulling out the piano hinge pin in that situation. Since the only time you might be removing the leg fairings is during condition inspection, jack it up so that you can also inspect wheel bearings etc.

I have taken mine off my RV4 numerous times while on the ground. Ones the wheel oants are removed, the pin for the leg fairing is carefully pulled down and using both hands, you curve it AFT is its pulled out. It's a bit easier with wheel off, but not an absolute necessity .

I will be putting the final touches on these gear leg fairings and was hoping to re-install them without jacking the plane. I will try it and see how it goes.

Much obliged.

I've removed my gear leg fairings maybe once in 25 years, didn't jack the plane. There's not much to inspect on mine since the legs themselves are tape-wrapped to protect against chafing. So the fairings just stay in place.

I don't know how the -7 has it but on my -6 the angle is fixed at the top with a hole/nutplate in the fuselage that the fairing hinge pin goes into. At the bottom it's a hose clamp which just needs to be clamped such that the fairing lines up with where it goes into the wheel pant.

Back