What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel Fairing Clearance??? Tire Pressure??

RV_7A

Well Known Member
I'm not finding any info on the recommended Wheel Fairing to Tire clearance. What are most people using? Based on the tire pressure is directly proportional to the tire clearance needed. I initially cut my Fairings so that I have about 1/2" around. Say if I run 26psi in my tires would 5/8" all the way around be a good figure or ?

-Jeff

I think 5/8" is just fine. I trashed a wheel pant on my 6 earlier this year when I caught a tire on a pant in a nasty xwind on pavement..NOT FUN at all....I was lucky - only a ruined wheel pant and marked up tire. Normally when that happens the wheel pant is left on the runway in pieces and/or a groundloop ensues! Mine used to have a gap closer than that (as used to be the custom), but after fixing/rebuilding the wheelpant now I use the ole' "finger width" measurement.

Cheers,
Stein

RV6 - flying,
RV7 - Finish kit ordered last week.

Thumb's Width for me....

Just like Stein, I had closer tolerances, until I cut a right side tire on landing - had to do a bit of fiberglass work to rebuild the bottom inch of the pant, and opened up the clearances to the width of my thumb knuckle. I am running 33 psi in the tires, and having no further problems.

Paul

Asked Vans the same Q. They say 3/4 to 1 inch.The gap also helps airflow when landing to cool the brakes. I know of 2 RV with brake fires due to lack of cooling.
At Oshkosh I saw some with as little as 1/16 gaps in places.
I gone to 3/4 all round.

A test you can make is to deflate all of the tires on the ground and make sure that the tires have clearance to the wheel pants and the pants have clearance to the ground.

V. Little

Tire Pressure

If you're using the Michelin AirStop tubes inflate them to 50 psi. Makes it easier to move the aircraft around and it's what the OEM recommends.

Chris

Sure, more pressure makes it easier to push around but also increases the "bounce" you get when you land. The short answer to tire pressure is use what works for you. Most folks start around 25-35 psi and go from there.

BTW, if you get a flat while landing, you are likely to toast the wheel pant in any event. They are usually mounted in a stance lower than most spam cans. This means that regardless of the clearance around the tire, you are going to chew up some fiberglass in a high-speed flat landing as the tire rubs up against the stainless (or steel) mounting bracket and gets ripped all to heck.

Ask me how I know.

Back