What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wheel bearings RV-6

Kevk

I'm New Here
Hi Guys, would anyone have a manufacture wheel bearing ref for the rv 6. I believe Timkem are one supplier, but I can cross ref if anyone has another
Kev

There is only one specific size for the Timken bearings Cleveland wheels use. Its an odd size and only aircraft wheels use this size hence why they are expensive. Grove wheels use a more common size that is only slightly different but are widely available. As I recall its the same wheel bearing used on 80's Camaro's and they're only a few bucks apiece.

Actually, it's a pretty common bearing size. The reason they are so expensive is the 'tolerance' (very tight on the actual part number used). You can buy the same bearing (one notch poorer in tolerance) from your local NAPA auto parts store, & it will work. If memory serves, the only difference is the last digit or two in the part numbers.

Charlie

Actually, it's a pretty common bearing size. The reason they are so expensive is the 'tolerance' (very tight on the actual part number used). You can buy the same bearing (one notch poorer in tolerance) from your local NAPA auto parts store, & it will work. If memory serves, the only difference is the last digit or two in the part numbers.

Charlie

No that's not correct, they differences are not a different ABEC tolerance. They have an uncommon OD and an existing wheel can be modified by turning out the bore on a lathe to accept the nearest size common bearing.

Back