What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's this hole?

bajapilot

So I'm about done with the fuselage finish kit and as I was looking things over I noticed a hole, about 1/2" diameter with a little square keyway cut out at the top of it. It's on the right lower side about six inches aft of the wing electrical connector and maybe a couple of inches lower then the connector. It's in, I think, about the fourth little curved skin on the lower fuselage.

Did I miss something here? Am I going to have a bad day tomorrow?

Thanks--I think.

Bill

On the left side of my fuselage on the third small rounded panel, there is a hole for the OAT probe. No hole in the right side.

Mine doesn't have that little hole in the turtle skins, on either side. Mine didn't even have the one on the left/pilot side for the OAT probe. I called Van's and they told me where to drill it- but even so, it's a round hole. Not sure why it would have a key way cut in it, even if I would've had the hole drilled for the temp probe? No holes in mine. Please post a pic. This has me curious as to why you have that there!?

I notice this during the build but figured there was a reason for it sometime down the road.

Let's see if I can figure out how to post pictures.

i-MDJbnNS-L.jpg

i-mBP5KWx-L.jpg

I have no idea why the keyway notch is there, but the only other thing I can figure is that is IS for the OAT probe. Plans say it goes on the left side of the fuse, but I don't see why (especially at this point) that you can't extend the wires over to the right side of the fuse and install it there. My OAT probe is in the third small turtle skin, aft of the step. Aft of the step you have a large skin- maybe 12", then the little stacked turtle skins. Mines in the third small turtle skin.

No can do Gary, my wiring is all done and I already have the OAT probe on the left side. This looks like a screw-up from Vans. Don't know what I can do for it but I'll give them a call Monday.

Well that blows......
But the good news is that it's below the wing and not at all obvious. Maybe a plastic, snap in plug (paintable), and about .59 cents at Ace Hardware? Much easier than drilling out a bunch on LP4-3's.
I'll be curious to see what the mother ship has to say.

No can do Gary, my wiring is all done and I already have the OAT probe on the left side. This looks like a screw-up from Vans. Don't know what I can do for it but I'll give them a call Monday.

Any news from Van's on the mysterious hole?

Yeah Gary,

Ken said it was a mistake on their part. They offered to send me another part if I wanted to replace it but both of us agreed it would be easiest to just round it out with a unibit and just patch it or plug it. Since the finished hole will only be about 3/4 inch and under the wing, I'm going to get a plug from ACE and just paint over it.

Bill

Back