What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Whats these extra washers for?

Brantel

Well Known Member
Everytime I think Vans included some extra something, I find out that it is used later on a different part of the kit.

An example is the tank end rib tip doublers, I thought I had two extra until I figured out that I needed to also install the doubler on the outboard rib the same as the inboard. Dooo!

Another is the anti rotation bracket. I thought that there were two extra until I realized that the ridges are stamped at different angles to allow you to pick the one that fits your fitting best after torquing the coupling nut. :eek:

I am wondering what the extra thick washers are for that came in the bag with my fuel tank fittings. As far as I can tell, I only need 2 with the large hole and 2 with the small hole. Vans included several more than that.

What are these for?

Check the call-outs for the aileron attach brackets and the aileron bellcrank. If I remember correctly there are several used there.

You will use those thick washers (1/8" aluminum "doughnuts" if memory serves) in various places where AN bulkhead fittings go. Examples would be fittings on your fuel tank, fuel vent bulkhead fitting on the fuselage, where fittings pass through the firewall, etc.

fuel vent

where the fuel vent tube goes through the side skin two go on the inside to help the line clear the side skin stiffener. really helps this bend to be easily made.

Back