What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the secret - Getting at vent line nut?

skelrad

Well Known Member
Friend
Ok, what fancy new tool can I buy, or what diy frankentool have you used to get at and tighten the nut for the the fuel vent line elbow fitting that goes through the 902 bulkhead (R9A)? It's so tight that I can barely get my fingers in there, let alone a crows foot or socket. I know there's probably a painfully obvious answer, but I haven't found anything that will fit.

Attachments

• Pic1.PNG
    Pic1.PNG
    273.7 KB · Views: 217
Try a cut down (using angle grinder) ring spanner similar to the pic below (it has also been slotted, to slip over a tube).
You may need to tighten by also rotating the fitting back and forth until the final cinch with the spanner. The correct maximum torque for the nut is probably not critical in this situation since you can hold the fitting when tightening the B-nut.

Attachments

• 20231203_084308.jpg
    20231203_084308.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
On the RV-7 the fitting does not go through the 902 bulkhead, it passes through the fuselage side skin. Are you sure you have the AN833 in the correct location?

On the RV-7 the fitting does not go through the 902 bulkhead, it passes through the fuselage side skin. Are you sure you have the AN833 in the correct location?

Yeah, it looks like the 7 and 9 are different in that regard. The 9 has the vent line enter the fuselage aft of the 902 bulkhead, then it goes through 902 before it takes a vertical turn.

Try a cut down (using angle grinder) ring spanner similar to the pic below (it has also been slotted, to slip over a tube).
You may need to tighten by also rotating the fitting back and forth until the final cinch with the spanner. The correct maximum torque for the nut is probably not critical in this situation since you can hold the fitting when tightening the B-nut.

I'll dig through my box of orphaned wrenches and give that a try today. Thanks for the idea.

Vent line

Option 1. If the end of the line hasn't been flared, you could snake a socket over the line.
Option 2. Go to a pawn shop. Buy a scrap deep well socket. Cut a slot the width of the tubing. You could also grind flats into the opposite end to use a wrench or crows foot.
You can actually buy sets but that takes all the fun out of it.

Personally, I recommend all builders go to a pawn shop and buy from the scrap bins. One of every size combination wrench and socket. SAE and Metric. Cost is nothing. Usually I offer $.25- .50 each and they are glad to sell it. They never turn me down.
I cut, bend and grind them into whatever is needed. The one I use most is a 3/8" socket ground thin and short so it only holds the nut at full depth. It's handy for starting nuts on Adel clamps. Metrics are not used on the airplane but you would be suprised how often they come in handy. I keep them in a separate tool bag. Metrics are smeared with torque seal so they are obvious.

Nut

I think the op is talking about the nut that secures the bulkhead fitting to the bulkhead.
Some combination of ground down deep socket or alternatively cut off a section of socket and welt to a piece of tubing then a socket adapter. The B nut for the tubing would not appear to be a problem.

Or call Tom at TS Flightlines and get a hose that eliminates the fitting, won’t leak and will save you a bunch of time. A rubber busing and you are good to go.

I see two options
1 see if two nuts will fit on the threaded bulkhead portion. If so, screw one all the way on, insert the fitting into the bulkhead and start the other nut as far as you can. Then tighten the nut on the front side.
2 install a rubber grommet in the hole and just push the fitting into it. The two lines will hold it in place or you could hold it down with an Adel clamp or zip tie

Ok, what fancy new tool can I buy, or what diy frankentool have you used to get at and tighten the nut for the the fuel vent line elbow fitting that goes through the 902 bulkhead (R9A)? It's so tight that I can barely get my fingers in there, let alone a crows foot or socket. I know there's probably a painfully obvious answer, but I haven't found anything that will fit.

Since this is a vent line which is low pressure, can you make a tube that goes through this hole, and have the tube supported by snap fitting? Then mount the AN fitting in some place downstream or upstream that will be easy for your to inspect. If it is extremely difficult for you to install, it will be extremely difficult to perform the inspection as well, and you will never inspect it.

Use a deep socket. If you need to relieve a bit of the flange to fit it over the nut it won't be a problem as long you don't hog it out too much.

My 2 cents

Back