What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's the difference in a D2A vs B2C O-320?

jcmcdowell

Well Known Member
I'm toying with the idea of putting a rebuilt O-320 from Aerosport in a planned 9A- what's the difference between the D2A and the B2C??

Is it appropriate for the 9A?

Can I use electronic ignition with either?

Can I add fuel injection?

Thanks for feedback

jcmcdowell
Atl Ga.
planning planning planning 9A
visiting Vans next week (2/23/06)

O-320-d2a

Aha-

From what I am reading the Dynafocal mount has less vibration. So far- that's the only difference I can determine.

Any Ideas why Vans doesn't sell Fuel Injection kits for the 9a O-320, but they do have a kit for the 7,8 O-320.

jcmcdowell

Someone posted a link to the genealogy chart from Lycoming a while back, but in a nutshell:
Check if the B2C has the carb mounted in the center of the sump for RV-xA models. Check for fuel pump mountings on the accessory case. The conical mounts work in any RV but the airport oldtimers say you want dynafocals in a metal airplane, keeping the conical mounts in fabric planes.

Steve

jcmcdowell said:
I'm toying with the idea of putting a rebuilt O-320 from Aerosport in a planned 9A- what's the difference between the D2A and the B2C??

)

Like you, I'm leaning toward a rebuilt from Aerosport and saw these two engines they have right now. The big difference is that they have one listed fixed or constant speed, the other only fixed. In any case, they have different engines available at various times and, unless you're getting a steal of a deal, you won't want to purchase the engine until MUCH closer to the time you will need it. My opinion anyway.

Here's a link to Lycoming Eng Specs

Here's a link to Lycoming Engine Specs:

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/productSales/engineSpecifications/SSP204.pdf

Hope this helps
Greg

Steve said:
Someone posted a link to the genealogy chart from Lycoming a while back, but in a nutshell:
Check if the B2C has the carb mounted in the center of the sump for RV-xA models. Check for fuel pump mountings on the accessory case. The conical mounts work in any RV but the airport oldtimers say you want dynafocals in a metal airplane, keeping the conical mounts in fabric planes.

Steve

Back