What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's on your preflight checklist?

MacCool

Well Known Member
What items to you include when doing the preflight check on your RV?

I've seen a number of such lists online but have found most of them to be incomplete based on my experience with other airplanes or reviewing source material such as "Are Your Nuts Tight?"

Hey there, this is for my 7a...

1. CABIN
a) Documentation -- Available In Airplane
b) Aeronautical Charts – CURRENT AND APPROPRIATE TO FLIGHT
c) Seat Belt Securing Control Stick -- RELEASE
d) Ignition Switch -- OFF
e) Avionics -- OFF
f) Master Switch -- ON
g) Engine gages – ON
h) GT-50 – RESET FLIGHT TIME
i) Fuel Quantity -- CHECK QUANTITY
j) Flaps – DOWN
k) Master Switch -- OFF
l) Carb Heat – COLD

2. EMPENNAGE
a) Tail Tie-Down -- DISCONNECT
b) Control Surfaces -- CHECK freedom of movement and security
c) Static Sources (both sides of fuselage) –CHECK for blockage
d) Tail and Tail Beacon--CHECK condition

3. RIGHT WING
a) Aileron -- CHECK freedom of movement and security
b) Flap -- CHECK security
c) Nav and Strobe--CHECK condition
d) Right Landing Light -- CHECK condition
e) Wing Tie-Down -- DISCONNECT
f) Main Wheel Tire -- CHECK for proper inflation
g) Chock -- REMOVE
h) Right Wing Tank – SUMP
i) Fuel Quantity -- CHECK VISUALLY
j) Fuel Filler Cap – SECURE

5. NOSE

a) Engine Oil Level -- CHECK, do not operate with less than 4 quarts
b) Propeller and Spinner -- CHECK for nicks and security
c) Cowl Hinge Pins – CHECK for security
d) Air Inlet -- CHECK for restrictions
e) Nose Wheel Tire -- CHECK for proper inflation
k) Master sw – ON
l) Fuel Boost Pump – ON
m) Gascolator – SUMP
n) Fuel Boost Pump – OFF
o) Master sw -- OFF
p) Chock -- REMOVE
q) Fuel Tank Vents -- CHECK for blockage

6. LEFT WING
a) Wing Tie-Down -- DISCONNECT
b) Main Wheel Tire -- CHECK for proper inflation
c) Chock -- REMOVE
d) Left Wing Tank -- SUMP
e) Fuel Quantity -- CHECK VISUALLY
f) Fuel Filler Cap -- SECURE
g) Pitot Tube Cover -- REMOVE and check for blockage
h) Left Landing Light -- CHECK condition
i) Nav and Strobe--CHECK Condition
j) Aileron -- CHECK freedom of movement and security
k) Flap -- CHECK security

BEFORE STARTING ENGINE

a) Preflight Inspection -- COMPLETE
b) Seat Belts and Shoulder Harnesses -- ADJUST and LOCK
c) Fuel Selector Valve -- DESIRED TANK
d) Avionics and Electrical -- OFF
e) Brakes -- SET
f) Circuit Breakers -- CHECK IN
g) Canopy adjust
STARTING ENGINE (cold)
a) Mixture – Full Rich
b) Carb Heat Off
c) Master Switch-Alternator – ON
d) Fuel Boost Pump -- ON
e) Pump Throttle 1-3 Times, Return Throttle to 1/8
f) Prop -- HIGH RPM
g) Flaps -- UP
h) Propeller Area -- CLEAR
i) Ignition Switch -- START
j) Avionics & Instruments – ON
k) Oil Pressure -- CHECK 25 psi at idle
l) Nav & Strobe – On
m) Fuel Boost Pump—OFF
STARTING ENGINE (Warm)
n) Mixture -- LEAN
o) Throttle to 1/8
p) Prop -- HIGH RPM
q) Master Switch-Alternator – ON
r) Flaps -- UP
s) Propeller Area -- CLEAR
t) Ignition Switch – START
u) Mixture—Full Rich
v) Avionics & Instruments -- ON
w) Oil Pressure -- CHECK 25 psi at idle
x) Nav & Strobe – ON

BEFORE TAKEOFF

a) Brakes -- SET
b) Canopy -------- Main Latch – SECURE
c) Flight Controls -- FREE and CORRECT
d) Flight Instruments – SET
Altimeter – CORRECT PRESSURE
GPS-- ON
e) Fuel Selector Valve -- DESIRED TANK
f) Mixture -- RICH (below 3000’)
g) Elevator and Aileron Trim -- NEUTRAL
h) Throttle -- 1800 RPM
1) Magnetos -- CHECK (175 max drop, 50 diff. max)
2) Prop – cycle CHECK operation
3) Engine Instruments -- CHECK
4) Throttle -- IDLE
i) Radios -- SET
j) Fuel Boost Pump -- ON
k) Transponder – ALTITUDE
l) Passenger – READY and willing

I don't know how useful this will be, but here's my "Preflight" checklist:

PRE-FLIGHT
----------
Mx deferrals CHECK
AROW documents CHECK
Control lock REMOVED
All switches OFF
iPad INSTALLED
Ignition key OFF (horizontal)
Battery voltage CHECK
Databases & SD card CHECK
Engine/Airframe Times RECORD
Fuel totalizer SET
CBs & fuses CHECK
Fuel selector BEST TANK
Exterior pre-flight PERFORM

--Ron

I ask the question as I happened across this video (time marker 8:52) from Vic Syracuse again. I was looking at the many RV preflight checklists around the internet but didn't see any that specifically addressed checking any of the rudder or elevator hinge bolts or spar jam nuts nor the hinge bolts or jam nuts on the flaps or ailerons. I was taught to always check those things, as well as the security of the elevator counterweights, the trim tab pushrod, and since the spar-cracking service advisory I now take a look at the outboard elevator hinges for spar cracking (readily visible on an RV-9 with just a flashlight).

Maybe I'm overthinking...was wondering what others do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlTMa_MQL2M marker 8:52 was the stimulus for re-thinking my preflight checklist.

Some decades back I was taught how to do a pre flight with a PCL in hand looking at each item listed. I tripped over many pad eyes and chocks during that painful process. My kindly instructor made the comment that "we're here to fly this bird, not buy it, so get on with it!"

Since then I've used the common sense approach and a bright flashlight to look for anything out of the ordinary. Of course, expendables (fuel, oil etc.) are always checked, but the rest is up to me. I built it, I fly it often, so anything out of the ordinary should stand out. You can only see so much on a small craft, so look at the critical stuff. Be specific about how a control surface feels, sounds, torque check marks, etc.

Lastly, step back and take another big look ... you'll be amazed at what might have been missed.

You can take this "process" to any aircraft and cover all the basics of a good pre flight forever after.

Cheers

Since you're only looking for items to check I would say these are most important...in order of priority EDIT: You could expand these out to some of the more detailed items some are suggesting.

Controls...All primary and secondary, movement and security (100% all the time, nothing else matters if you loose control of the ship)
Consumables...Oil, fuel, O2, Tires and brakes
Condition...overall condition of airframe, structure and propulsion entity...including prop
Candela (lights)...as operationally necessary
Cockpit...all avionics and instruments set and current...are normally set for flight prior to engine start, but sometimes after...when I need to warm the oil a little more

I personally don't use a checklist for the preflight, but certainly don't advise against it...certainly not a DO list but a list to make sure you got everything would be ok.

You're right...checking the hinge bracket on the 9 is easy...not sure what all the fuss is about ;)

Reading some of the other post...wondering who was all taught to throw the keys on the glare shield to let others know the ignition was off? I still do this and check for them every time I move the prop.

Last edited:
I created my checklist, formatted to fit half a letter size sheet in landscape. The main booklet has all checklists in it and I create a separate laminated preflight checklist for the walkaround (see attached PDF). I think this covers the topic. Do I use this every flight… no. But will for IFR and introducing folks to the airplane.

Attachments

• Preflight_Laminate.pdf
    176.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    465.6 KB · Views: 91
I ask the question as I happened across this video (time marker 8:52) from Vic Syracuse again. I was looking at the many RV preflight checklists around the internet but didn't see any that specifically addressed checking any of the rudder or elevator hinge bolts or spar jam nuts nor the hinge bolts or jam nuts on the flaps or ailerons. I was taught to always check those things, as well as the security of the elevator counterweights, the trim tab pushrod, and since the spar-cracking service advisory I now take a look at the outboard elevator hinges for spar cracking (readily visible on an RV-9 with just a flashlight).

Maybe I'm overthinking...was wondering what others do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlTMa_MQL2M marker 8:52 was the stimulus for re-thinking my preflight checklist.

not specifically from an RV experience, just generally...
I feel like things like you mention here...control surface hinge attachments for example....are sort of the general/obvious Category. Not really a specific thing. Having them on a checklist... or to do list...is sort of a student pilot thing. Once it's engrained into your habit, you're going to do it every time. Having too many of those sort of things on a checklist I feel are just clutter that gets in the way....especially if they are sort of outside of a sort of natural walking path/flow.... which they often end up being...
Instead...something like "Left Wing - Check" kind of prompts me to say for example start at the leading edge root, walk the leading edge looking for condition, pitot, fuel vent, fuel qty and cap, stall warning tab, tiedown, check the wingtip, then on the trailing edge check the aileron for looseness, correct freedom of movement, all the hinges and pins, any counter weights, control pushrod freedom and condition, etc... then ditto flaps
...and that walks me to the sump...and that would be a separate checklist item (as would probably be things like pitot and vent, fuel qty tab info, etc..)

Preflight walk-around

not specifically from an RV experience, just generally...
I feel like things like you mention here...control surface hinge attachments for example....are sort of the general/obvious Category. Not really a specific thing. Having them on a checklist... or to do list...is sort of a student pilot thing. Once it's engrained into your habit, you're going to do it every time. Having too many of those sort of things on a checklist I feel are just clutter that gets in the way....especially if they are sort of outside of a sort of natural walking path/flow.... which they often end up being...

Agreed. I went from my walk-around for my Cub that was ingrained in my pea brain from the time I first met her.....a long time ago....to doing the preflight on SuzieQ, a little more complex aircraft. I did not have a list of "look at that". Having built her, and my previous routines for walk-arounds, it was a natural progression to walk around and look at all the things I needed to see before I trusted her to take my buns into the Clear Blue. It quickly became routine, doing the same thing over and over, every time we went flying. If I missed something, it was like the lyrics of a well-known song that were suddenly either missing or changed: something wasn't quite right. Muscle/mind memory.

I don't remember ever finding anything amiss on SuzieQ but have found several issues with the Cub. Yes, I am down on my hands and knees inspecting the tail wheel. I have found: a missing bolt, one of two, holding the tail wheel in place (not on my Cub but another I was flying); I found a broken middle spring (of three) that was cleverly nearly hidden that I would not have found if I had not been crawling around looking. Not flight-critical as there are three, but might have become an issue at some point. I have had other pilots kid me about even doing a preflight! Whaaaaat? I do a brief walk-around when we come out of a restaurant. Was someone over here messing with her? Did something happen on the flight over? I have to walk around to untie her; why not look at things as well.....:) My post-fueling routine is ingrained as well. I have never left a tank cap on the pump or wing or not properly fastened.

So: my preflight walk-arounds are a well-worn routine. One that, once established, doesn't need any prompting or list. Just do the same thing EVERY time. My passengers or stand-arounds know (or will soon find out) not to say ANYTHING to me while I am doing my inspection. If someone says something, they will hear "Hang on" from me and know they are going to be ignored. Then: now; what were you saying?:)

My checklist in the airplane is a years-long developed list that is more for making sure I am getting to everything in a more complex environment. Those have become routine as well; again, that well-know song that sounds wrong if something gets missed. I do the list from memory, then glance at the written list on my knee board to see if I have forgotten something. The new ANR switch has tripped me up a few times....:rolleyes:

IMMO; YMMV. :cool: You be you.

My preflight inspection procedure:
- Squawks
- Inspections/registration current
- Required documents on board
- Remove plugs from intake, fresh air vents, fuel vents, exhaust, pitot tube (it is hangared, but this is Florida, aka Bug Central)
- Cockpit - controls free & correct; switches & controls proper function; general condition; fuel selector set to fullest tank; verify master & ignitions off; set up for this flight (i.e. rear pit set up for passenger, or seatbelts secured, headset removed for solo)
- Oil - minimum 4 quarts
- Take a knee and look underneath the plane front to back, left to right; plugs/covers removed; antennas secure; no leaks; tires not obviously low
- Wings - fuel quantity, sample from quick drains; general condition of wing; aileron movement, visually and physically check hinges and operating rod end; flap tight and not moving when up; pitot and AOA masts clear; inspection plates, fairings secure
- Aft fuselage - general condition, static ports clear; inspection plates & fairings secure
- Empennage - same as wings - movement, hinges, cotter pins on rudder cable attachments, check security of trim tabs (elevator - control rod, rudder - still tightly bonded in place)
- Nose - cowl secure; intakes clear; prop - nicks, leaks, blade tightness; spinner - cracks, screws secure

Checklist:
Plugs & covers - removed
Hatches - Closed
Fuel - gallons required/gallons on board
Sumps - checked
Oil - quarts on board
Docs - AROW
Controls - free/correct
Fuel selector - fullest/verbalize which tank

Yeah, I was thinking more about this.... Not saying I don't believe in checklists.... just that some things are loosely akin to getting caught in the weeds.... an extreme exaggerated analogy you don't need a checklist item to check the first leading edge skin for dents, then another to check the second skin, etc... and those 12 rivets holding _____, and the 3 rivets holding that other thing on.... Having page after page of those sorts of things get in the way of finding our place on the list...and also get in the way of something I like to do when I finish the walk around...and that's to step away from the aircraft so I can see the whole thing, then quickly use the checklist to review and verify that I did everything point by point...while taking in the big picture, all ties removed, chocks removed, etc...

It is like any small SEL plane.... I do it by FLOW... cockpit safe, walk around, cockpit pre start top to bottom / left to right / front to back. I check EVERYTHING....

The only experience I had was on the Piper and Super Decathlon. In these airplanes I was using the checklists from Checkmate. Since I didn't want to change my checklist flow, I duplicate my RV checklist to look like the list from Checkmate and adding my own specific items to the categorized lists.

Back