What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's it take to change a QB Fuselage from Tipup to Slider?

tdhanson

Well Known Member
Is this easily changed if it's still at the untouched QB stage? What's involved? What would it cost in $ and time? I'm looking at a RV7 QB kit for sale but it's a tipup right now. I think I prefer a slider. Actually I want a slider with tip feature for baggage access.

Last edited:
No additional time, just $$$$

I'm 95% sure that the built/assembled portion of the QB fuse is delivered to be finished as either a slider or a tip up. But, there are quite a few parts delivered with the QB kit that are specific to either the slider or the tip up that would need to be exchanged or purchased. Big items would include the rear deck skin and front deck skin. In addition, most of the front deck structure/ribs behind the panel are completely different. Vans could probably help identify all of the parts and discuss a plan of attack and costs involved.

Advantage/Disadvantages Slider vs. Tip-up?

OK, guys, although I get to fly the -8A and 10 that I helped build and maintain, I am looking, hoping, dreaming, of a -7A (wife does not want to stare at the back of my bald head!).

What are the perceived advantages of a slider vs. a tip-up? At first glance, I don't see any big differences.

lots of posts on tipup vs. slider... do a search and you'll be overwhelmed.

Most people say:
tipup advantage - visibility (no rollbar brace in front of you)
tipup disadvantage - can become a sail in wind, and can let rain into panel when opened.

slider advantage - can open when taxiing - to stay cool (and look cool)
slider disadvantage - visibility (rollbar brace in front of you)

Thanks, Dave

I will do some searching, but what you have given makes good arguments both ways.

Ron

Back