What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What's in an engine kit ?

case

I'm New Here
Hi All,

I'm a newbie to the world of RV's and I'm looking seriously at building an RV-12. I live in Australia and down here we can register an RV-12 as experimental LSA even if we don't get the complete kits from Van's. Obviously I will be buying the basic aircraft kits but I have choices when it comes to engine and avionics.

The downside to buying an RV in Australia is the cost of freight from the US and also the exchange rate. Although the latter is not too bad at the moment it all adds to the cost. In an effort to cut down the cost a little I was wondering if someone could tell me what's in the engine kit. Is there a detailed list of contents somewhere ? I've looked around the Vans site but can't find much.

I have the price of the Rotax supplied here in Australia but I need to know if I'm comparing apples with apples.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Case

engine kit contents

Case:

The engine kit basically includes most everything firewall forward. So, in addition to what comes with the Rotax itself, the engine kit also includes the battery, firewall foward wiring harness, engine mount and mounting accessories, cooling shroud for the engine, fiberglass duct work for both the oil cooler and water cooler (fiberglass is shaped to fit the cowling), propeller, spinner, all hoses, exhaust system, oil cooler, water cooler, all engine control cables, cabin heat kit, all hardware, etc, etc. Pretty much everything firewall forward except the cowling itself.

So, there is much beyond what comes with the Rotax and it would be impossible for it to be an apples-to-apples comparison. You would also still need to obtain many of the other items from Van's separately (unless you plan to make most of them) and I suspect they would cost more separately than as part of the engine kit. Hard to imagine you would save much, if any and then there is the time and challenge of getting everything together that you would need.

Jeff

Last edited:
I'm in Australia too...

... and have just been through the same exercise. However, I will be going with Van's package on the basis that any cost saving appears to be relatively small and not worth the additional trouble of sourcing and fitting the missing parts - particularly for a first-time builder like me. Not to mention giving away the opportunity of E-LSA certification in the process.
Robert

enigine kit price

Hi I am in victoria and waiting for my engine kit to arrive from vans I looked at buying local but by the time you buy the exhaust, radiator engine cradle etc it is cheaper to get it through vans

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I initially thought most of the FWF stuff was in the Finishing kit but your info makes it obvious that the Van's engine kit is the only way to go.

Robert,

I exchanged emails with the Tech. Manager at RA-Aus and it appears we can make some changes to the kit in Australia and keep the ESLA rating. RA-Aus will register it 19-xxxx at 600Kg. PM me if you want a copy of the advise.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Case

Back