What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What wire to use for Whelen MicroBurst position/strobe lights

Steve Ashby

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I bought the new Whelen MicroBurst LED position/strobe lights at OSH and now I want to wire them in. The lights pull .8 amps at 14 volts when the strobe flashes. It takes 4 wires to run the lights (grnd., nav., strobe & synch). What gage wire do I use? Does anyone know who sells 4 wire cable that would fit the bill? I can't find anything suitable at ACS or Whelen.

Oh, and I am totally ignorant of all things electrical. I don't a even know which end of the wire the electrons go in.

Thanks!

Your in need of one of these.
WireSizeChart.JPG

Steve,

Now that they taught you how to fish, I will give you one.

Use a #20 awg.

Typically for signal stuff all you use is #22. Flap position sesors and stuff like that would qualify.

Once you start carrying current (amperage) you need to bump it up. Reason for doing so is because of conductor heating and resistance in the length of the run. In addition to that, you get physical strength. Bundles stay in place better and terminals are less fragile.

Even if you don't use the Vertical Power product, check out their website. There is a great resource there. They have documents on wiring your plane that will help you to understand things better.

Hope this helps!

:) CJ

Thanks for the help!

I am having fun in the early stages of wiring. These MicroBurst LED nav/strobe lights from Whelen are really nice looking. I can't wait to fire them up.

Hi Steve,
I'm also using the micro burst light along with sunray plus landing lights.
I'm about to do the wiring I was going to use 20 guage three wire sheilded
for both of power lines and sync and then run a seperate ground wire back to the main ground. I will also do the same for the landing lights From what I have read the sheild only needs to be
grounded at the panel end do you or anyone else know if this is correct.
My tips are going to be removable so I will use a molex plug in the wing tip.
Paul

Oh, and I am totally ignorant of all things electrical. I don't a even know which end of the wire the electrons go in.

Thanks!

Don't worry about the electrons, the will automatically show up. Just don't forget to precharge the wires with the appropriate recipe of smoke. :D
Bevan

Interference

G'day everyone,
I was wondering if anyone knows if the microburst series need to have shielded wiring? I'm just about to wire the wings and finish them off.
Thanks Guys.
Rob

None of the Whelen LED lighting products require shielding. You might find however, that multi-conductor wire is only cost effective in shielded versions. This is due to the very low manufacturing requests from the wire makers for mil spec multi conductor wire in non-shielded versions. That might change over time as LED becomes more prominent. But for now is MUCH cheaper to get multi-conductor shielded wire than non-shielded versions. Regardless of whether or not the product requires it.

Back