What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What weighs 370 lbs and will set you back $20.9K?

Pmerems

Well Known Member
Advertiser
What weighs 370 lbs (shipping weight) and will set you back $20.9K?
io-360.jpg

A brand new Superior XP-IO-360 with roller lifters like the one that just arrived in my shop (price included delivery). :)

I had to spread the news since it was a very important milestone in the building process. Maybe this will motivate me to work more on the RV since my warranty will start in 6 months. Maybe it will also help motivate others.

BTW the engine comes with a 3 yr warranty. :)

Paul
RV-7A finishing kit

That's cool, and it looks just like mine, which showed up yesterday :) I forked out for dual Lightspeed Plasma IIIs, but otherwise got the same thing. $22.8k delivered. Suddenly my building motivation has been ratcheted up!
enginedz2.jpg

I'm beginning to worry about my state of mind. I find myself spending more time oogling photos of new engines than I probably should. ;)

Congratulations, Paul. She's a beauty.

Do not stack box

Lars,

From the looks of the photo it appears the side of the box was slightly crushed. Mine was the same. It looked like someone had decided to sit and eat their lunch on the my box. I guess even if its marked "DO NOT STACK" I guess that means you can sit on it.

No damage to the engine noted or candy wrappers.

Paul

Delivery Times?

How long did it take you guys to get the engines after your order?

Thanks,
Andy

Delivery Times

Andy,

I ordered my XP-IO-360 August 18th. This was the last day to take advantage of Superiors Oshkosh pricing ($500 off plus free shipping). I didn't immediately need the engine and the only requirement of the discount was to take possession on the engine by the end of 2006. So I set a delivery date when I ordered for the last week of December. It was shipped on 12/29 and arrived at the freight terminal a few days later. I scheduled a lift gate delivery to my home and it arrived yesterday 01/05. The lift gate fees were at no charge (included in the free shipping).

I must say that I really had a hard time deciding between Superior and ECI. At AirVenture 2005 I spent a lot of time talking to several engine builders and ECI and Superior. At that time I walked away thinking the ECI was the right choice based on price. However at AirVenture 2006 I repeated my investigation and found that the engine builder I was going to use (who recommended ECI in 2005) now was recommending the Superior engine. One reason was because the roller lifters had come down in price dramatically. When I went over to talk to the Superior at their booth I was handed a price sheet that had exceptional pricing. I thought it was a mis-print but it wasn't. Added to that the Oshkosh special and the price was outstanding.

Based on 2005 pricing I was expecting to spend about $23K on an ECI 0-360 (constant speed-set up for fixed pitch, 1 yr warranty). But I ended up with an IO-360 with roller lifters (constant speed-set up for fixed pitch, 3 yr warranty) for $20,900 delivered. I figure I ended up ordering the engine about 6 months earlier then I really needed to but the pricing was what pushed me over the edge.

At the time of my order Superior wasn't offering the Emags/Pmags so I went with regular mags for now. By the time I am finished with the RV I may switch over to the Emag/Pmag system.

Paul

andyrv said:
How long did it take you guys to get the engines after your order?

Thanks,
Andy

Andy, my experience pretty much mirrors Paul's. I could have had my engine 3 weeks after Oshkosh; I wanted to push back the delivery date as much as Superior would let me, since I didn't (and still don't) need the engine right away. Shortly after Oshkosh, Superior called me and asked if I wanted the engine right away. Had I been ready, I could have had it the end of August.

As it is, I have some hustling to do to actually take advantage of the 3 year warranty. That's fine, I work better under pressure :)

Delivery options

Lars,

It also turned out that Superior wanted to ship the engine early because many customers were pushing the delivery to the end of the year and they wanted to keep a steady stream of engines builds in their shop. They even mentioned giving me another price break ($500 if I recall correctly) to take delivery about 2 months earlier (this was about a month after I sent in my $1K deposit). However I really didn't want to get the engine that early and I passed on the offer.

So there is a possibility to get some extra discounts if you time you engine purchase right.

Paul

Pmerems said:
Lars,

From the looks of the photo it appears the side of the box was slightly crushed. Mine was the same. It looked like someone had decided to sit and eat their lunch on the my box. I guess even if its marked "DO NOT STACK" I guess that means you can sit on it.

No damage to the engine noted or candy wrappers.

Paul

Paul, that describes mine perfectly. It was pretty well collapsed on one side, so I opened it before the driver left. No damage to anything, fortunately.

Pmerems said:
Lars,

It also turned out that Superior wanted to ship the engine early because many customers were pushing the delivery to the end of the year and they wanted to keep a steady stream of engines builds in their shop. They even mentioned giving me another price break ($500 if I recall correctly) to take delivery about 2 months earlier (this was about a month after I sent in my $1K deposit). However I really didn't want to get the engine that early and I passed on the offer.

So there is a possibility to get some extra discounts if you time you engine purchase right.

Paul

Interesting. When they called me in August they didn't mention any additional discounting. Maybe I was higher on the list of people to call, so they hadn't gotten concerned about their scheduling yet. Ah well, I still feel like I got a great deal. I think I would have paid more 10 years ago for a flat tappet carbureted Lycoming.

Back