What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to install before side skins

Mark Henderson

Well Known Member
I just finished section 22 today. It was actually one of the easier sections thanks to the suggestions from those of you who are farther ahead. I know that the fuel lines are easier to put in before the side skins. In hind sight, is there anything else any of you would suggest installing now? Any painting that is easier now rather than later? Thanks for any suggestions you have.

Installation of the fuel system is the only thing I can think of. Hopefully you installed the one fuel system return line fitting before you installed the bottom skin!!

Also, see my blog entry for March 26. Prior to riveting the side skins ensure a nutplate at the forward part of the side skins is correctly dimpled. My plans were in error here.

Last edited:
Ditto,

Jump ahead to the fuel system, also run the rear brake lines while you at it. If you have a finishing kit, I think you can also run some wires, but I am not sure, since I don't have the finishing kit yet. It is not impossible to do it in the sequence Van's, just easier without the side skins and upright structures in place.

I also painted the inside fuse at this stage, it meant I could easily mask and did not have to twist into funny position to get good paint coverage. The only downside is that you will have to paint your side skins, and side upright structures seperate. So you might use a bit more paint. Also you will see some shiny rivet heads when you assembly the skins in the inside.

I prefered the neater look, hence I painted it this way.

My 2 Cents,
Regards
Rudi

Back