What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to get with wings

rwarre

Well Known Member
I am currently working on my 7A wings. Left wing is on the stand and skins are final drilled. I have seen some posts about installing pitot tube. Is this something I should think about now or can it be done later. Any tips about other items while doing wing would be appreciated. Thanks

-8 wings (I'm installing pitot currently)

I'm building an -8 and the wings are the same as the -7. You need to do the pitot (I'm doing a heated pitot and thus requires some bottom skin work that can't be done after it's on) before putting on the bottom skins, I would recommend the same for running conduit, or pulling wires, although I don't believe it's required. I also would do the aileron actuation system, but it can be done with the bottom skins on. There are alot more experienced people who will chime in on this subject. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
wings

I had the quickbuild wings. I was easily able to install all the hardware with only the last bottom skin off. If I was building again I would pre-drill more holes for wire runs. My wings have heated pitot, landing, taxi and pos lights, auto pilot, fuel sender, oat and AOA plumbing. There were not enough holes for all this.

Well, I have the skins on and the pitot line isn't in yet. I'm doing the gas tanks last and for some reason I thought the tanks had to be installed before the pitot line was put in. I now see the line could actually have been put in now. There is an inspection plate right at the point where the line comes through the skin. Should be able to get in and install line through inspection hole. I do have conduit run for landing lights and strobes, but if the pitot line is straight, I don't see how it could be difficult to install it after skins are on. Anyone else do it later? I hope I not going to be in for a rude awakening.

Back