What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to do next???

Jimzim

Well Known Member
As a first time builder, I have a dilemma and could sure use you input...I have the slowbuild 7 with empennage done and mounted on fuse. The fuse is done up through installing rudder pedals and brake lines. My wings are mostly one and temporarily mounted with bottom skins still off. My question is this: should I next rivet up the fwd fuselage, or install the engine mount and gear, or start the wiring harness (van's harness) or start on canopy or ??? Not sure what makes the most sense to tackle next? I'm anxious to get it off the sawhorse and onto gear! Any advice very much appreciated! (I have most items mounted to the firewall, but haven't riveted closed the recess cover) Thanks, Jim

Speaking from my own experience, don't rush getting the fuse on the gear. It is no fun climbing a ladder to get inside to do the wiring and lots of other tasks.

My answer is to finish installing and rigging your control systems. Then, while the ailerons and flaps are attached and rigged, install the wing tips. Finally, remove the wings, finish skinning them, and set them aside.

Having the wings in the way while you're working on systems, the cowl, and the canopy is a hassle and seemingly triples the length of every trip around the airplane for a tool, a part, or to look at the plans.

Once you're at that point, install the engine mount (don't mount the gear), run as many wires as possible, install the top skin, then (temperatures permitting) build the canopy. If it is too cold to install the canopy, you can hang the engine, install the accessories, run wires, and install the cowl/baffles. Once you're done with that, it is canopy time...

Thank you all for the valuable insight. I think it best to wait for summer for the canopy, it's chilly in the hangar in Denver! The thing I'm still a little confused about is how can I run wires with the wings removed? The wires need to go to all the lights, A/P servo, etc...? Otherwise, it sounds like engine mount and wing tips next as the ailerons and flaps are done and fitted as are all the control tubes, and flap motor. Anyway, plenty to do! Thanks, Jim

Since you said you have the wings temporarily on, to answer your original question and the question in your last post, do the wiring to your wingtip lights now while the wings are on the fuse. If you have an autopilot your wiring harness can be measured now but only get it to the proper length with some extra for good measure. Do not attach things to the servos now. This is just for getting the correct lengths. Actually the truth is you do not need to have the exact lengths of any wiring going out to your wingtips, A/P, tail light, engine or any other termination points. Just make sure you run enough wiring out with a little extra (say an extra 18 inches or so) beyond what is really needed just to make sure you will have enough. This is not an area to worry about wasting wire. Better to be too long than too short. Deal with as many items in the wing that you can like this. Once you have run your wiring lengths, pull the wiring back to the fuselage, roll it up and stuff it somewhere out of the way. Then take the wings off.

I would suggest that you DO NOT install the forward fuselage skin in front of the windscreen until the very very last minute. You did not state whether you are building a slider or tip-up but regardless you will need to have access to that area behind the panel for a long time to come while dealing with all the firewall forward stuff and panel wiring. Cleco that section of skin together but do not rivet it in place until you are absolutely sure you do not need to get back there any more.

I would get busy with the engine mount, firewall forward plumbing and wiring. All of this will involve a great deal of running things through the firewall from the engine side into the cockpit. Wires, fuel lines, throttle cables, mixture cables, etc. All of this is going to occupy quite a bit of time. You will be working "outside" of the cockpit in the engine compartment then back "inside" the cockpit and going back and forth multiple times per work session. Make that access as easy as possible on yourself.

If you have not installed your instruments and dealt with all the wiring and plumbing that goes with them, then start with getting your instruments in the panel and wires run to their sensors. The wires do not have to be connected to sensors or whatever their final destination yet but you can get the instruments themselves installed and wires connected to the back of them and leave extra length in order to make sure they reach their final destination.

This would be a good time to deal with what is going to be mounted on the firewall, where cables and wires are to be routed through the firewall, mounting firewall insulation if you plan to install it. Once you have all of that then perhaps it would be time to put the fuse on the gear and look at mounting the engine mount and engine. Some have noted that you can wait to put the plane on its gear but the truth is there is a specific time in the build when it can no longer be put off. The engine needs to be supported by something and if you get it on its gear before the engine is mounted you will be that much closer to your end goal.

I am sure others will have their ideas that may be just as legitimate. Follow your intuition and you should be good. Hope this helps in some way.

Back