What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What to choose for PPL training a C172 or DA20?

ric52md

I'm New Here
Things are finally falling into place and I can start for my PPL in the next month or so and plan to order a RV9A in the fall. I have a choice between a Cessna 172 or a Diamond DA20 for training. Which would be the better choice with this in mind?

Thanks

ric52md said:
Things are finally falling into place and I can start for my PPL in the next month or so and plan to order a RV9A in the fall. I have a choice between a Cessna 172 or a Diamond DA20 for training. Which would be the better choice with this in mind?

Whatever's cheapest (yet still safe). It doesn't make much difference - by the time you are ready to fly your 9 you can rent something a bit more RV like before you go for your transition training.

Save as much money as you can on those expensive rentals ;)

The DA20 has a low wing and a castering gear, but getting used to both of those aspects of a plane takes only a short time.

It doesn't matter which one you spend most of your time in but make sure you get the chance to fly both. This will help you adapt to a different plane (your -9A) when you have to.

I have a little over 400 hours TT but those are divided between over 40 different makes and models. If someone offers you a ride, and you trust your life with them, take the ride. Ask to fly it some. Try some stalls, flaps up & down, power on and off. Do a lot of turns, play with the systems (change fuel tanks, mess with the prop, trim, etc.) Don't do anything crazy, be safe, have fun, and learn, learn , learn!

While getting my PPL in a 152 my instructor had a Lance and he let me fly that a few times. A few weeks after getting my PPL one of the airport bums mentioned he handn't flown in a 150 (the club plane I was then flying.) in years. After giving him a ride in the 150 he took me up in his turbo 210 and let me fly it all around. Cost of his ride in the 150 (in 87 dollars) was $21/hr. Cost of my ride in his T210? God only knows but we flew for two hours. That T210 felt like a tank next to the 150. You get the idea. Fly, fly, fly & build, build, build!

Good luck with both the PPL and the RV.

Thanks. The DA20 is much cheaper to rent, about $25 an hour. I have no problem keeping more money in my pocket. :D

The DA-20 is a fantastic little airplane. The 172 feels like a truck by comparison. Personally, I'd choose it over the 172 even if it was more expensive.

ric52md said:
Thanks. The DA20 is much cheaper to rent, about $25 an hour. I have no problem keeping more money in my pocket. :D

$25/hr or $25 less/hr. I don't know of any rentals for $25/hr, that is super cheap. :eek:

I have switched from renting 172s to DA-20s. The DA-20 is a neat little airplane, more fuel efficient and cheaper to rent. The stick is not quite as 'sensitive' as the RV series, but it is fun none-the-less. I also enjoy the big canopy of the -20. Makes me MUCH more comfortable while banking. In the Cessna's you're basically turning blind because of the high wing. Many factors to consider, but I just like the -20 (even though it's plastic!).

The -20 is closer to the -9A than the 172, that's for sure. But like someone else said...flying in different airplanes and learning their differences is a great way to become a better pilot.

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll go for DA-20 for $25 LESS per hour rental than the Cessna. One of these days I'm going to really read what I type.

I have flown both and each have their advantages. The 172 is a little easier to slow down in the pattern but if you learn in the 20 it won't matter.

The DA-20 is stable and very fun to fly. It has a stick in lieu of a yoke. (cool) It is a little hotter in the summer than the 172 because of the greenhouse effect the canopy has.

The only disadvantage to the 20 is cockpit room. I'm 6'-5" and it gets cramped. I have to fly with my headstrap in the back instead of on top. No matter you get used to it and after a few minutes you don't even realize.

I agree with an earlier post about flying as many different planes as possible but I would wait until after I had my PPL. You will want to stay in tune with your trainer to simplify your checkride. Just my opinion.

My prference would be the 20. If it's less money then that's just all the better.

Donald
RV-8 Empennage
N-284DP Reserved

Back