What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What the first things to do

togaflyer

Well Known Member
My RV 10 will be arriving this weekend. I'am receiving the fast build kit and the finish kit at the same time. I know that it will be a bit overwhelming, but what should I do first and what should I prep for before I actually start building. I have been preparing my shop, so its in good order. I bought lots of bins at my second home, Harbor Freight, so I believe I have enough bins and trays for parts. Feels like Im getting ready for our first born all over again.

Inventory everything, then put it away in logical order so you can find the parts again later.

Start saving for engine, prop, fwf, avionics...you'll need them soon and close together. Go through the plans and ensure everything was done correctly.

I received our complete slow build kit, less engine, fwf, prop and avionics. Spent 2 weeks organizing all parts, pulling all blue vinyl off and remarking every part. Started building 12/1/2009. Very few mods, 20 hrs/week, completed and flew 12/1/2011. I would compare it more to building(not contracting it out) our own house in 2000-2002. It was fun except doors/cabin top. It is much more fun flying now and cost close to the same per hour. Worth every dime. Have fun.

Read the manual. If the pictures don't do it, hunt up the components and puzzle it out until it makes some kind of sense. Repeat often during the build. Often you will be working on a particular step only to find out later, if you had only looked ahead, that there was something you needed to allow for.

Rich, you may know this already but the quick build kits are for wings and fuselage only, do not include the empennage.

In my opinion, after inventorying all the parts and storing them so you can find them later is a key. I thought I did but still seemed to spend a lot of time looking for parts during the build.

Then start on the empennage. It is pretty straight forward and good for getting your skills up to speed. If you screw something up on the empennage parts, it is cheap enough to just order new parts and start over. Unlike the wings and fuse.

Save hours!

When you get all the little bags from Vans labelled by bag number, do NOT be tempted to label your bins with the same bag numbers! It'll take way too much time to have to cross reference the manual, pick list, and bag number to find the part you need. Ask me how I know :mad: Just put all the hardware (screws, nuts, bolts, etc) in labelled bins (AN365-832, AN515-8R8, etc). It'll save you a ton of time and frustration and your bins will be ready for maintaining the aircraft. :cool:

And I think starting on the empennage is a good idea.

Organize, Organize, Organize

I agree with David's comment above. The little bags are IMHO not a good way to store hardware, so establish a system that allows you to find the hardware by what it really is (i.e. AN4-6A bolts, etc). Also, you will want to organize your larger parts, skins, etc. There, I would recommend keeping parts grouped by what they are as well (i.e. rudder parts, elevator parts, etc.) You will start by building the Vertical Stabilizer (first section of instructions). During your emp kit build you will learn a lot. If you screw up on the early stuff, like the Vertical Stab, replacement parts are fairly cheap (ask me how I know). Better to start again fresh with a new part than to keep building a sub-par assembly. Have fun and welcome to the journey.

Take a deep breath!

Take a deep breath. Yes you CAN do it. It looks very overwhelming, with all those parts laying out during inventory.
For me, even though I had helped with several builds and repairs, I had to read over things several times. (Pictures would have been great). Having another empennage that I could look at helped when I got stuck. For all you repeat offenders, its old hat to you guys.

Take your time; its not a race. and take a breath. I see that its worth it!!
Tom

First things first

You should probably call your banker and tell them not to be alarmed if all your accounts are depleted over the next 2 to 3 years. Probably also good to call the credit card company and let them know that the card has not been stolen by someone in Oregon :rolleyes:

Have you already built the tail (empicone) kit??

Mike, I ordered the QB and finish kit together. This will be the beginning of the build.

Rich, you may know this already but the quick build kits are for wings and fuselage only, do not include the empennage.

Vans plans and building sequence are structured to guide and train you throughout the entire process. The first "hands on" segment of that process is the tail kit. This is why I asked the question above.......

It sounds like your cart may be proceeding your horse..........(but then, dont you need a builder number to order the fuse/wing/finish kit?? and dont you have to order the tail kit to get the builder number???) Confusion reigns here :confused:

If you do not have the tail kit yet, my best advice would be to order it ASAP, and in the meantime do as others have stated, inventory and store the parts you are getting. And organize the hardware in something reasonable-----the brown bag system is for Vans convenience not your.

Dont skip the reading of the first sections of the "plans"-----the ones printed on the 8 1/2 x 11 paper, they contain vital information related to the build.

Good Luck:D:D

Last edited:
My bad, the empennage section was included with my order. So take all the hardware out of the Van's bags and organize them in bins, hardware store style. Store each section parts together, and learn with the tail section. Be prepared to spends lots of money, and keep moving forward and don't quit. ( I tossed in the last line :)

Regarding the inventory; it's not just to get things organized... you may find some things are missing, or worse, replaced with the wrong part. Don't assume the factory got it all right though they do a fantastically accurate job. I had RV7 counterweights, an extra nose tire and a missing Slickstart unit. No big deal, just a note.

Dont' know your situation but if you have zero experience with basic riveting and aluminum fabrication you will save a tremendous amount of time and a few duplicate parts if you have an experienced builder that can assist you on the first assembly or 2. A few days working together on the fin and rudder is worth a month or two of self learning. I was lucky enough to attend a week long tail build class but I don't know if anyone is doing those anymore. Having said that, it is not mandatory but is a big time saver and quality improver in my opinion.

You are going to have a ball!!

My advice

Take your wife out for a really nice dinner. And go get a ride in a -10 if you haven't already. Then start the empennage.

Where to start

Well, from my experience with getting started. The wife is the most important piece of the equation. And once you have that handled, make sure to redo it over and over and over again. One can never make enough DEPOSITS into the make wife happy so husband can build a airplane account.

Family always comes first then plane second, and yes you will have time to build.

Another good tip is to make sure you sweep up the garage often, so that the shavings don't get tracked into the house. I have had to clean the house floors more then once due to that.

Enjoy, start at step 1 Inventory of all the kits and get it organized and make friends in your local EAA chapter and get some assistance in learning the in and outs of riveting. Tech counselors are great. I am lucky I have a friend with over 45 years of experience in a aviation sheet metal shop. He can do just about anything. I saw him buck #5 rivets with a screw driver as a bucking bar and they turned out perfect.

Enjoy the build., It is just a lot of small parts made into bigger ones, then made into big parts. It is very rewarding.:)

Back