What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

WHAT SHOULD I DELETE FROM THE FINISH KIT

skyyking

Am ready to order the finish kit but need to know if anyone can recommend the "James" cowl and other aftermarket wheel/brake assemblies that might give the airplane a better look on the ramp.
Any other suggestions on alternative parts (to delete from Van's Finish Kit order) would be helpful as well.

The canopy! ;)

No, but seriously, one thing I did after another builder suggested this was to go ahead and order and install the gascolator bracket onto the firewall if that's the way you are going. It actually comes with the FWF kit, but much easier to install early on. Just remember to tell Vans you already have it when you order the FWF kit so they can remove the additional part and charge.

I have a SJ cowl

I love the look of it.

Delete the following
1) Baffles..Well you can use them but to be honest you can make yout own form the supplied templates in almost the same amount of time..Others will dissagree with this, but I would go this way again..you will need half a sheet of 32 aluminium though.
2) Cowl..duh!
3) FAB if going with ff induction at least.

I assume you have figured out the whole long cowl/prop extension vs short cowl business.

I have the long cowl, CS prop and a 2.25" prop extension.

Frank

I assume you have figured out the whole long cowl/prop extension vs short cowl business.

Frank[/QUOTE]

Hey Frank, for those of us that havn't, could you explain the long cowl short cowl thing?
Ben:confused:

If you are doing an A, delete the nose wheel and order a GROVE wheel. You will still need the tire and tube.

And for the mains, start off with GOODYEAR FLIGHT SPECIAL III. This tire wears like iron, and is in good balance. The profile is different than the one Van's sends in the finish kit. So if you fit your wheel pants to the "kit" tires, you will need to cut them open to fit the GOOD TIRES LATER.

Last edited:
Delete the following
1) Baffles..Well you can use them but to be honest you can make yout own form the supplied templates in almost the same amount of time..Others will dissagree with this, but I would go this way again..you will need half a sheet of 32 aluminium though.

Not me....

And I'm a sheetmetal person by trade. Have brakes, shears, and everything.
I just don't like making parts if I don't have too!

L.Adamson --- RV6A (flying)

Why not

Its hardly anything..Just stick the templates to sheet metal, run them thru the bandsaw, scotchbrite the edges , make a couple of bends..Done!

Hardly even a sheet metal job iMHO.

Frank

There are many posts

Frank

Hey Frank, for those of us that havn't, could you explain the long cowl short cowl thing?
Ben:confused:[/QUOTE]

But...If you have a long cowl, it can be mated to an M series Hartzel hub..I think this is the standard length hub. The hub that Vans sells is the C hub, C standing for "compact".

The difference in length between a Chub and an M hub is 2 and 3/8ths inch.

So if you have a long cowl and a hartzell C hub C/S prop you will need a 2 3/8ths" prop extension..I used a 2.25" extension. The FF induction was tricky to fit with the longer AFP FI servo.But I got it in there.

If going FP, you'll need a 4" extension with the long cowl.

James now has a shorty cowl which needs no extention for the C hub Hartz prop so I'm told.

Thats pretty much the gist of it.

Frank

James now has a shorty cowl which needs no extention for the C hub Hartz prop so I'm told.
Frank

I'm guessing the short cowl will not work with the FF induction and AFP FI, regardless of C/S or FP prop, correct?

Back