What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What should be next for my RV-8 (order of build)

Wicked Stick

Well Known Member
Ok, I've got 95% of the wiring done. (99% of the panel is wired and working and the entire fuselage is also wired and plumbed. I just finished removing the wings so I can now get back to business on riveting the 821 top skin, baggage door, canopy, windscreen, firewall forward stuff, etc.

My query is this:
Which order of the build should I do next ? top skin first ? hang the engine and run the cables ? Follow the plans or deviate from them ?
I've seen pictures of other builders hanging the engine before riveting on the 821 top skin. Is this structuraly ok to do ? I still have my fuselage standing on wooden 2X4 legs attached to the wing spar because I'd like to work on the canopy and windscreen without having to work from a step ladder.

I'm thinking of the following but need opinions from those that have gone before me.
1. Rivet the F821 skin to the fuselage and also do the baggage door.
2. Work on completing the canopy, windscreen
3. Mount the Grove gear, then worry about hanging the engine running the cables for mixture, prop, throttle etc.

Part of me says mount the engine, figure out where to drill the holes through the firewall for the 3 cables, then rivet the top skin on, but my concern is the weight of the engine added to the fuselage which is on the wooden legs instead of the main gear.

Opinions welcome.:D

Opinions welcome.:D

Dave....put the rivet gun DOWN!! :p

I went the route of not installing the 821 skin until I had no choice but to install the windshield - engine cables can be frustrating even when you have full access on the -8 (just wait until 400 hours of flight time when you have to change them, and you'll wish you had better acess...).

Installing the engine with the top skin not riveted is no big deal - the weight is held on the longerons anyway. I'd leave it clecoed, do the engine, and do the windshield and canopy fitting and shaping. Get everything that you can installed before you rivet the 821.

Once you put it on the gear, you can build a short scaffold/work platform next to the fuselage to make access easy.

At least that seems to have worked for me....

Paul

Like Paul said...put the rivet gun down.

You are probably too far along at this point to consider a rotisserie but being able to rotate the fuselage made working on the canopy and interior details of the airplane much easier for me to access and work, often working while sitting on a stool outside the airplane.

The RV-8 is a different animal. If you seek a good fitting baggage door, you should wait until after the engine is hung. Once the engine is hung, you will have your hands full with baffling and other FWF stuff. Then you can move on to cowling work. Everybody is different but I found the cowling to be more challenging than the canopy on both RV's I built. It takes uncounted iterative steps to get it to fit just right. I found installing the engine baffling to be both fun and a relative no-brainer which is the opposite experience many builders report. Go figure. In any event, permanently attaching that forward upper skin should be counted among the last major tasks on your agenda. You are going to find that open access to be highly desirable. It is perfectly acceptable to simply cleco the upper skin in place as required but permanently attaching it with rivets should wait until the last possible moment. After the upper skin is permanently attached, you can finish the windscreen and all the fiberglass work it entails or the baggage door, your choice.

Plenty to do before you rivet!

Follow Pauls advise!
Or, as Scott McDaniels is fond of saying "Don't rivet anything until you absolutly have too!"

The engine installation will be much easier without the top skin in place. Let me know when the engine hanging party is, I've got the next couple weeks off.

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ

Follow Pauls advise!
Or, as Scott McDaniels is fond of saying "Don't rivet anything until you absolutly have too!"

The engine installation will be much easier without the top skin in place. Let me know when the engine hanging party is, I've got the next couple weeks off.

Scott A. Jordan
N733JJ

Sounds like fun, I like party's :D
I have the lord mounts, bolts, a hoist, and that nice drift pin just for that occasion. As soon as I finish the condition inspection on the 4, lets have a hanging party !

Paul, Rick,

Thanks for the advice and input. I'll put down the rivet gun, hang the engine, run the cables for the T M & P, (boost pump is already plumbed, along with the starter contactor, etc. The only thing left to pull through is the CHT and EGT wires.

After that, I should be able to pick up the rivet gun again. ;)

Oh, and Rick, thanks for the rotating idea, but I have already hung the tail feathers and I don't think I have the height in my garage to rotate it with them on. (really don't want to take them off either). But thanks.

Back