What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What quantity of primer

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
For those who have used primer on all of their RV-12 aluminum interior surfaces, please advise how much primer I should get in order to do the same? I will be using zinc chromate appropriately thinned. ALL inside surfaces, wing, emp., fuselage. Thanks in advance.

2 1/2 gallons ???

I?ve been using Akzo epoxy primer that comes as 1 gallon of epoxy and 1 gallon of catalyst and is mixed 50/50 .. so it is the makings for 2 gallons. The Akzo does not require thinning and is rather thin ? the recommended spray thickness is 1 mil and they suggest using a 1.4 mm spray tip to give you an idea of the viscosity.

My RV-12?s entire tail cone/empennage and both wings are fully primed and I?m just about out. Of course, earlier parts may have been a little heavy handed while learning the process to spray the primer as thin as possible with the HVLP gun and there has been quite a bit of over mixing leading to wasted primer ... not to mention the waste involved in spraying small parts which hindsight being 20/20, should have been sprayed with an airbrush to save product.

Have not primed the fuselage yet, but would think that to be about half a gallon so I would plan on 2 ? gallons. However, if you plan on finish painting the cockpit area, the paint you use there may dictate your choice of primer in that area. It will be interesting to see what other builders have to say.

Happy building,

John
Dues paid until summer
www.dogaviation.com

Thanks John

I appreciate the answer. There is am 'expiration date of one year 'can life' on the ZC. Wonder how important this is? Anyone else using ZC? I'll buy some more ZC.

Back