What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What lycoming engines for the 10

jtrollin

Well Known Member
I am trying to understand all of the lycomming engines and figure out what IO-540 engines will work for the 10 without having to do much modification for the vans firewall forward kit.

thanks,

Here you go buddy. I'll attach a link for your reading pleasure.

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/ffae5a2bb5506dcc8625747a00650001/$FILE/1E4.pdf

John

Engines for RV-10

Almost any O-540 (Carb) or IO-540 (fuel injection) will work. If you go the 300HP Wide Deck yu may have a tight fit for the cowl and you will for sure have nose heavy as they increase the weight by about 30-40 lbs I think.

Many of the 540's are cerified as 235 HP or 250HP but the only difference if you look at the certified airplanes they were put on is that the RPM is derated to either 2300 or 2500 RPM to give them the lower HP. At 2700 RPM they all have 260 HP. I don't have the website for list of all the veriables that come on the various 540's as I am on Christmas vacation enjoying warm beaches.

After Christmas if you want more info just look up my direct e-mail on VAFWWW and send me a request.

Best regards

I am trying to understand all of the lycomming engines and figure out what IO-540 engines will work for the 10 without having to do much modification for the vans firewall forward kit.

thanks,

SNIP...
Many of the 540's are cerified as 235 HP or 250HP but the only difference if you look at the certified airplanes they were put on is that the RPM is derated to either 2300 or 2500 RPM to give them the lower HP. At 2700 RPM they all have 260 HP. SNIP...

The other thing to remember is that to be able to run most of the 250 HP (2575 rpm limited) Lycomings at 2700 rpm to make 260 HP will require a change in the counterweights in the crank shaft. If you don't change the counterweights and run at the higher rpm you could induce fatigue cracks in the crankshaft from excessive torsional vibration.
For me - I will just stay at or below the 2575 rpm limit. Considering that 99+% of the time the engine is running at 2400 rpm or lower, I am not sure I need the extra rpm. The few times I have been in an RV10 - no one used full power until after the plane had left the ground and was established in a climb. Now if you are at gross weight, short field, hot day in the mountains - the extra horsepower probably would be really nice!.
Bill

Prop compatability?

What about compatability of these other engines with the Hartzell sold by Van's for the RV-10? From what I've learned so far, there are several different configurations of crankshaft counterweights on the various IO-540's, and the Hartzell prop has been tested for harmonics only with the D4A5. If we abide by the engine RPM restrictions, is it OK to use the Hartzell with the other models? I haven't been able to find an answer to this question.

thanks,

John:
check your pm's.

Marshall

Seems to be a little confusion on this thread... The real difference is parallel valve (what you want) vs. angle valve (commonly the 300 HP versions with a "K" suffix). The parallel valve versions max out at 260 HP and are significantly lighter.

The wide deck vs. narrow deck is simply cylinder mounting design - Lycoming went to the wide deck design in the 1970s for all engines. IO-540-D4A5s (what Van's recommends for the -10) came in both versions - you can tell them appart by either looking at the cylinder mounting flange or by the serial number; the wide deck models have an "A" suffix on the serial number.

A very common used engine that people select for -10 is the IO-540-C4B5 which was used on later Aztecs. They are identical to the -D4A5 except for rating (they were rated 250 HP @ 2575 RPM vs. 260 HP @ 2700 RPM on the -D4A5). There are also several very close cousins that differ in things like which mags were used, etc.

Bob
RV-10 N442PM (flying)

I just received my IO-540-N1A5 from Aerosport Power about a month ago. Similar to the -D4A5 except has a stiffer crankshaft and heavier 5th and 6th order dampers. Makes it about 12 pounds heavier.

Back