What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What kind of wire clamps/clips

macrafic

Well Known Member
I need to secure some light wiring running underneath the aileron bellcranck so that it does not interfere with the bellcrank when the aileron is in its max upper deflection. The natural "run" of the wire wants to interfere slightly with the bellcrank. I want to adjust the run of the wire slightly in one direction. My ribs, skin and leading edge are already installed and the ribs already drilled for the wiring run.

What are my options here? P-clamps, including the steel clamps with the rubber cushions, have a hole in them for mounting, but I can't get in front of the main spar to put a nutplate or a nut. I can't use a pop rivet, because the hole in the clamp is much larger than the pop rivet head. This is not something I want to come loose at all, so I hesitate to use an adhesive clamp, unless there are some clamps out there with "super" adhesive that can withstand the temperatures and vibrations of a wing.

I know there must be solutions out there, but I'm missing them. Any suggestions?

Cushion CLAMPS

adelclampmh8.jpg

cushionclampsql8.png

I have used some Gardener Bender Nylon "P Clamps" for attaching light cables and tubes in non FWF positions - Part number PPC-1525. I bought them from the Home Depot electrical department. They come in different diameters and can be pop riveted in place. They seem very strong but are light and cheap. Just to be safe I used a WA1/8 aluminum pop rivet washer by Arrow under the rivet head, also from Home Depot - where they sell the pop rivet guns - light and cheap too!
clampaf5.jpg

Not a great picture but hopefully gives the idea

Caution...

jsharkey said:
I have used some Gardener Bender Nylon "P Clamps" for attaching light cables and tubes in non FWF positions - Part number PPC-1525. I bought them from the Home Depot electrical department. They come in different diameters and can be pop riveted in place. They seem very strong but are light and cheap. Just to be safe I used a WA1/8 aluminum pop rivet washer by Arrow under the rivet head, also from Home Depot - where they sell the pop rivet guns - light and cheap too!

Not a great picture but hopefully gives the idea

Caution with these, if they are the cheap plastic and not high quality nylon, they can dry out and crack in the heat of the wing... especially in desert climates (like Arizona... :) ...)

I don't know how the HD ones rate... :rolleyes:

The Adel (cushion) clamps will last for ever....

gil in Tucson

RV7 and RV9 bellcrank

I noticed that on RV9 bellcrank is opposite mounted (i.e.: aileron steel pushrod is on the bottom and aileron big aluminium pushrod is toward the top of the wing).

Your photo shows a different mount. Is it right in RV7?

Back