What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is this on my engine? (with pictures)

Pilottonny

Well Known Member
I will be hanging the engine soon. At the moment I am checking what I can connect/install on the engine before it is hung. Obvioulsy some of these coonections are for oil cooler and oil-pressure, but what is what?

First picture: what is this stud for, in the middle of the picture, with the castellated nut on it? (RH side)

f_P2150659m_0abeac4.jpg

Second picture: What is the connection for, in the next picture, plugged with the square brass plug on the left of the oil filter?

f_P2150663m_93e4ac3.jpg

Third picture: What are these for on the next picture:
  • Between the Oilfilter and the SD8 alternator (orrange), is this the pick-up for a mechanical Tach?
  • What is the connection on the oil filter housing for? The one with the white plastic temp. plug in.
  • What is the connection for, at the bottom of the picture, with the brass, square plug in it? (bteween where the magnetos used to be)
f_P2150662m_0b2a7c0.jpg

In the fourth picture, the two plugs, at 90? of each, are the oil-pressure ports, I assume. Use either one of these, right? I suppose rear facing one will be best, because of less interference with the engine mount?

f_P2150664m_65146eb.jpg

As always, thanks a lot for your reply.

Kind regards,

Tonny.

What is it.

Tonny, I am not a mechanic but I am pretty sure the first photo is the oil pressure adjustment. I am sure u will get more response. Good luck.
Doug Preston
Rv-10
N372RV

Picture 1 is the oil pressure relief adjustment.
Pictures 2 & 4 are oil cooler ports. 2 is "from cooler". 4 is "to cooler".
Picture 3 is the mechanical tach drive.
Picture 4 is the oil pressure pick-up port. Either will work.

Last edited:
First: Oil pressure relief valve.. used to adjust oil pressure..

Second: Oil return port (from oil cooler)

Third: a) Yes b) Oil temp probe goes there c) Oil port (to oil cooler)

Fourth: Yes.. and one facing back is easier to use.

"VAF" The Ultimate RV Tool

This is exactly why IMHO this is absolutely the best tool anyone even remotely involved with RV's can have. A RV'er named Tonny in Belgium has a question he needs answered about his RV project. NINE minutes later he has his answer from our resident expert in Texas. No opinions, no guesses, just accurate answers that will get this RV'er on his way. Come on all you lurkers out there, send in your donations. This site is one of the most valuable RV tools you could ever have access too.:D

Tonny, with the engine, you probably have a 'Lyco Operator's Manual'. For the stage you are embarking on now it is a mine of information. It may be worth a read. It has a whole bunch of other stuff which you may/may not already know.

It gets fun from here, Steve.

pre-oiler

This sort of ties in with a question I have, How/where does one plumb the oil lines to/from a pre-oiler pump?

Bevan

Back