What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is the best method to trim fuselage to wing fuel tank lines?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm getting ready to mate my wings for the first time. My goals are:

1) Not bend anything
2) Get the incidence set and drill the rear spars
3) Get the root fairings drilled
4) Check the flap travel
5) Get the fuel and vent lines trimmed and ready to connect to the tank
6) Make and fit the front fuel tank bracket.
7) Install ailerons and their controls and set / check travel limits.

I think I understand everything but #5 above. What is the best technique here? Right now I probably have 6" of fuel and vent line sticking out of the fuselage.

I guess the basic plan is to trim the lines somewhat long, but not too long. Then install the wing with the lines bent slightly out of the way. Then mark the lines, and remove the wing? Then cut the lines, then reinstall the wings, and repeat until it looks right, then flare the lines?

Is there a better way?

Before mounting the wings I fabbed a cardboard template of the wing root with fuel and vent outlets to get a better idea where the lines would be positioned.

I had no trouble ...

My fuel lines will push back into the fuse an inch or two. Between that and bending it them slightly, there was no problem hanging the wings.
A tip on drilling the root fairings ... many of us found it easiest to drill the bottom holes from the top of the wing downward using a 3/32" x 12" bit. For me it was easier than "probing" sortuv blindly from the bottom.

Thanks Terry - did you cut & flare your fuel lines before you installed the wings, or did you put the wings on, measure the lines, then remove the wings to cut & flare?

Great tip about the fairings, thanks so much!

I installed, measured, and then removed to cut and flare.
While I had the wings on, I also installed the flaps and measured/adjusted the flap pushrods ...also cut the holes in the fuse for the flap p-rods. I hooked up a small 12V battery and ran the flaps up and down to see that everything worked. It's great having that behind me, even though I'll have to make final adjustments when the wings are on for good.:D

Back