What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is it?

Jimzim

Well Known Member
I'm fleshing out the firewall before hanging the engine for the first time. I will use a Lyc IO360 and Ellison throttle body. I'm also planning on a Dynon Skyview. My question is, what is the VA-168 transducer manifold for and do I need the manifold and transducers so as to be able to "talk" to the Dynon regards fuel and oil flow/pressures? The plans say transducers are sold seperately and Dynon couldn't really answer the question. I suspect the transducers are used to send information on to the Dynon?? Any input greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jim

The manifold just gives you a convenient place to mount the transducers. You don't want to attach the transducers directly to the engine. You put the transducers on the manifold and run hoses to the manifold.

Here's mine way back during my build.

2006-08-22.1687.jpeg

It it a useful/recommended item

I didn't look up the part number but I believe you're talking about the machined aluminum block the mounts to the firewall. It has 3 input/output sections.

Rather than mounting your transducers directly to the engine, the manifold serves as a way to isolate the transducers from engine heat and vibration. You mount the manifold on the firewall and run lines such as oil pressure and fuel pressure from the engine to the manifold. Then you screw the transducer in the the corresponding manifold outlet.

The manifold allow for 2 outputs from a single pressure port. I have my fancy transducers in one outlet each and dumb idiot light transducers in the other outlet. This way if my engine monitor should die, I still have a couple of independent idiot lights.

hmmmm, The test engineer in me likes the presumably easier life for the transducer, may even result in more accurate readings. I think the benefits roughly equal the costs (parts, extra hoses), complications and risks (more hoses to break/leak).

Aha! So then the transducer sends info via a wire on to the Dynon? I like the idiot light redundancy. I may add that, too. Thanks, Jim

Back