What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is everyone using for smoke oil?

jcarne

Well Known Member
Patron
Well, I have found myself enjoying aerobatics more and more and think it's time to add a smoke system so I can see my lines. What are you ladies and gents using for oil? Where are the best deals to be had on it? Thanks in advance!

Well, I have found myself enjoying aerobatics more and more and think it's time to add a smoke system so I can see my lines. What are you ladies and gents using for oil? Where are the best deals to be had on it? Thanks in advance!
The deal is you burn $$$ right out the tailpipe at $12 a gallon per minute but it is sexy. $700 a 55 gal barrel shipped is the going rate

I bought this oil and it works fine for me. Those who use smoke oil for their professional (paid to fly) air shows might have another opinion, but mine blows white and dense and it's only $470 for 55 gallons and includes free shipping.

I have used Aeroshell, Phillips 66, Bluesky White Lightning, and some concrete form release oil.
No significant visual difference between any of them, so I use the cheapest. Which is generally
the BlueSky. Best way to reduce cost is to buy 55 gallon drums, and one Wilkes-Barre, PA company
has a flat rate shipping deal. Order 3 barrels with some friends and you can cut the shipping to
manageable rates. Figure $10-12 per gallon, and two injectors will go through about 1/2 gal per minute.

As far as aerobatics are concerned, join a local IAC chapter, practice in a NOTAMed box, and be judged
and coached from the ground by experienced pilots. Cheaper than smoke oil and more effective.

Actually I bought mine last year when they were giving free shipping everywhere. Guess that cost them too much and they recently changed it. For those who live in their subscription area, it's still cheaper than other brands of oil.

*** I just checked and even paying for shipping it still would cost me $639 today for the 55 gallons shipped to Texas, so check them out and see what shipping costs to your home.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 11.13.14 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 11.13.14 AM.png
    463.7 KB · Views: 11
Anyone ever used Aviation Oil Outlet? You can get BlueSky for $541 with free shipping.
I use them all the time for my regular oil - do’t use smoke oil, but their service and shipping in general is great - and they usually have the best price (to my door) on Phillips X/C…

Anyone ever used Aviation Oil Outlet? You can get BlueSky for $541 with free shipping.
OK, Disregard the company in my previous posts because these two companies seem to have the same website designer, look at their checkout process !!

When I went to recommend BlueSky smoke oil I was lazy and did a quick google search to get the name where I bought it instead of checking Quicken for my receipt. After further review it turns out I actually ordered from Aviation Oil Outlet and they STILL have FREE SHIPPING like when I bought my oil. Here's a screenshot of what it would cost if I ordered another 55 gallon drum today: $541 !!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 12.50.41 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-09-03 at 12.50.41 PM.png
    393.4 KB · Views: 10
As far as aerobatics are concerned, join a local IAC chapter, practice in a NOTAMed box, and be judged
and coached from the ground by experienced pilots. Cheaper than smoke oil and more effective.

I wish that was an easy option where I live. 2 hr flight one way in the RV just to get to a chapter. Idk if competition is ever in my goals but right now I'm just looking to have fun with some good ole gentleman acro. I would however like to go somewhere to get some training soon though for some stuff beyond loops and rolls, etc.

Back