What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What is a normal AMP draw for Earth X batteries?

I have two Earth X (ETX900) installed in my RV10. Both batteries under normal operation are connected to the charging system in parallel. The charging system consists of a single 60 amp alternator. After engine start and the alternator turned on, the amp immediately goes to 55 amps for about a min. I realize this is normal for this type of battery.

What concerns me is the amps decrease to 30 and tend to stay there. I recently completed a 1.3 hr might flight and the amps stayed at 30 the entire flight. Is this normal? My load calculation for night flying comes in around 10-15 amps. Alternator is producing 14.3V.

What is everyone else seeing for amps after batteries have recovered from engine start?

Where is the ammeter shunt or Hall Effect sensor located? Does it measure only battery current or does it measure total aircraft current?

Where is the ammeter shunt or Hall Effect sensor located? Does it measure only battery current or does it measure total aircraft current?
It‘s a Hall Effect sensor. It mounted in line from the B lead to the electrical busses. It measure current from the alternator.

I have a dual G3X system with a really nice IFR panel including a G5, IBBS, and GTN650. All my lights are LED. My ammeter shunt is wired up to measure the total electrical load.

With everything on except boost pump, seat heaters and non-regulated pitot heat I see around 18 amps.

If I had everything on the plane turned on plus keyed the mike and ran the flaps and trim all at the same time I might see 30 amps, but I doubt it.

I have an earthX 680c and as you say, the amp draw shoots up to 50-ish for about a minute after starting,

Mine would go to zero to one amp usually very soon after take off and remain there the entire flight including when turning on accessories such as lights. Sure the amp meter is wired correctly to the shunt?

I have two Earth X (ETX900) installed in my RV10. Both batteries under normal operation are connected to the charging system in parallel. The charging system consists of a single 60 amp alternator. After engine start and the alternator turned on, the amp immediately goes to 55 amps for about a min. I realize this is normal for this type of battery.

What concerns me is the amps decrease to 30 and tend to stay there. I recently completed a 1.3 hr might flight and the amps stayed at 30 the entire flight. Is this normal? My load calculation for night flying comes in around 10-15 amps. Alternator is producing 14.3V.

What is everyone else seeing for amps after batteries have recovered from engine start?
Probably need more info. What equipment do you have? Heated pitot ca drawn 10+ amps. Strobes can draw 15 amps transient. Other lights? Radios? Did you have an iPad plugged in to a power port? Power port can draw up to 10 amps.

It’s really not hard to get to 30 amps…

Mine would go to zero to one amp usually very soon after take off and remain there the entire flight including when turning on accessories such as lights. Sure the amp meter is wired correctly to the shunt?
I don’t have a shunt. I’ve verified the amps using my handheld amp meter, so the engine monitor is accurate.

Yours remains at 1 amp even when turning on lights?!? How is it wired? You can’t get something (lights) for nothing (<1 amp).

I'd imagine you're measuring battery charge/discharge. The OP has his wired as a load meter.

Probably need more info. What equipment do you have? Heated pitot ca drawn 10+ amps. Strobes can draw 15 amps transient. Other lights? Radios? Did you have an iPad plugged in to a power port? Power port can draw up to 10 amps.

It’s really not hard to get to 30 amps…
Cruise flight, boost pump off. Pitot heat wasn’t on and no power port. I momentarily turned off all lights and strobes and got a 2 amp drop from 30.
2 AFS EFIS
1 430W
1 SL30
1 GTX

I’m going to the hanger. I’ll turn on everything and measure the amp draw from the batteries with the alternator off. I’ll report back. Thanks

Back