What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What good is the Alt Breaker

Wesael

Well Known Member
Ok so think about this with me.....:)

The wire from the Alt to the breaker (commonly installed some place in the instrument panel) is not protected.

If I eliminate the breaker in my application (wire from the alt to the starter relay there will be less unprotected wire and as a benefit there will be NO unprotected wire inside the cockpit.

Has anyone used a fusible link at the alt?

Any other ideas?

Ok so think about this with me.....:)
The wire from the Alt to the breaker (commonly installed some place in the instrument panel) is not protected.

Not sure what you mean. The breaker IS protecting the wire its connected to.

I assume you mean the B lead from the alt?

If so, I am a big fan of not having that heavy wire inside the cockpit. I run from the ALT to a current limiter next to the master or starter relay. Then run a solid copper bar between the current limiter and master/starter relay. http://www.bandc.biz/anlcurrentlimiterbase.aspx

There is no way in **** I'm going to reset a 60 AMP breaker in flight so why even have it? You still have the means to kill the ALT with a breaker to the field as well as a switch in most setups.

Last edited:
...Has anyone used a fusible link at the alt...?

Yes, I added a fusible link at both the main and standby alternators, just like a car.

In my "emergency kit", I have a spare link for each alternator, pre terminated with a ring terminal and a crimp splice. Field replacement should only take a minute once the cowl is off.

I assume you mean the B lead from the alt?

If so, I am a big fan of not having that heavy wire inside the cockpit. I run from the ALT to a current limiter next to the master or starter relay. Then run a solid copper bar between the current limiter and master/starter relay. http://www.bandc.biz/anlcurrentlimiterbase.aspx

There is no way in **** I'm going to reset a 60 AMP breaker in flight so why even have it? You still have the means to kill the ALT with a breaker to the field as well as a switch in most setups.

Ditto--ANL current limiter on the front side of the firewall. Look at the Aeroelectric Connection book if you haven't already.

-Rob

Field Breaker

Is it possible that the CB in question is the Alternator Field breaker? In my plane, this is a 5A breaker on the panel.

I too used the Aeroelectric Connection schematics as the starting point for my electrical system and this is what Bob N. recommended. I presume it's to protect against short in the field itself or if the field wire is shorted to ground ....that and the fact that all circuits off the main power bus should have protective device installed close to the bus.

Last edited:
Is it possible that the CB in question is the Alternator Field breaker? In my plane, this is a 5A breaker on the panel.

I too used the Aeroelectric Connection schematics as the starting point for my electrical system and this is what Bob N. recommended. I presume it's to protect against short in the field itself or if the field wire is shorted to ground ....that and the fact that all circuits off the main power bus should have protective device installed close to the bus.

No. The wire in question is the main B terminal on the alt.

Back