What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What goes/attatches here?

N355DW

Well Known Member
What should go in these holes? They are in the rear spar and doubler, and wingwalk rib ends in both wings. I just finished the aileron and flap installation in both my quickbuild wings and am wondering if I missed something. I can't find anything obvious in the plans, and the rivet callout is the same as the surrounding ones, as far as I can tell.

IMG_1966.jpg

Without having plans in front of me, it looks like there should be an 1/8" universal head rivet in both of those holes to help hold the aft end of the wing walk rib to the rear spar. I can see a rivet in a sister hole in the bottom through one of the lightening holes.

Yes, but why did Vans not put the rivets in when building the wing? They aren't part of, or get in the way of anything I have installed, and nothing but a pulled rivet will fit there now.

Yes, but why did Vans not put the rivets in when building the wing? They aren't part of, or get in the way of anything I have installed, and nothing but a pulled rivet will fit there now.

I would just add the correct length CherryMax rivet there...

Right but

Nothing wrong with pulled rivets here.

Yes I have no problem with pulled rivets, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something, as I can't figure out why they weren't riveted when the wings were built. I thought perhaps there might have been a reason they were left out. It's the same two rivets in the same place on each wing, which led me to believe it was done that way on purpose.

So no one else has this issue in their quickbuilds?

Same as...

Yes I have no problem with pulled rivets, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss something, as I can't figure out why they weren't riveted when the wings were built. I thought perhaps there might have been a reason they were left out. It's the same two rivets in the same place on each wing, which led me to believe it was done that way on purpose.

So no one else has this issue in their quickbuilds?

Mine are the same and I got my kit 3-31-2012. So the new kits have them. Spent about an hour going back over it just to make sure nothing goes in there. Mine look just like yours except mine is shiny and not green! :D

Mine are the same and I got my kit 3-31-2012. So the new kits have them. Spent about an hour going back over it just to make sure nothing goes in there. Mine look just like yours except mine is shiny and not green! :D

Thanks Bob! Curious, I wonder why they did that. I'm going to call them next week about another question, I'll ask then.

I was going to leave the braces bare, as I expect they will be painted when the plane is, but I live in FL, so when I primed the aileron hinge brackets I went ahead and primed these with them. Just priming the brackets would have wasted a lot of Azko! :)

Last edited:
Have found several missed rivets on my QB, with no pattern. Usually just mark the spot with a sharpie, and move on to something else. When I figure out that there is no reason to keep the hole open anymore, drop a rivet in.

Rivet callout

Damon
Look on drawing 10A. The rivet callout for those two holes are 470AD4-6. They pickup the rear flange of the W-711-L ribs. Like others have said, you'll probably have to use a pulled rivet due to no access.

Bottom line.......

If you are building a quick-build kit, you still must go through the plans as if you were building a non-QB to make sure that everything has been done.

Don't assume anything. What's that old saying again?

Damon
Look on drawing 10A. The rivet callout for those two holes are 470AD4-6. They pickup the rear flange of the W-711-L ribs. Like others have said, you'll probably have to use a pulled rivet due to no access.

Yes I checked the drawings for the rivet callouts and saw they were the same. Still, I wanted to ask here to make sure I hadn't missed anything.

If you are building a quick-build kit, you still must go through the plans as if you were building a non-QB to make sure that everything has been done.

Don't assume anything. What's that old saying again?

Yes, and Van's says that as well, and I am doing that to the best of my ability. I went through the plans more than a few times, checked all the drawings several times, looking to find what the heck was supposed to go/attatch in these holes - and, as I said in the o.p., finding only the rivet callout mentioned above. But I have been known to miss some things even when staring them right in the face, so I thought another good source of info was to ask for others' experience here, before I made an assumption, and then had to drill it out later!:)

Last edited:
Back