What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What EXTRA parts/supplies to order

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Van's will be shipping me the first three sub kits this month and I'm wondering which, if any, extra parts/supplies I should purchase and have Van's ship along with the three sub kits? How about extra rivets (by size), etc. Any thoughts from those of you who are way ahead of me on the build? Thanks in advance, E. D. Eliot.

The kits are pretty compete and it is hard to know what parts you'll need to redo. I would just wait until and see what you need. Maybe 200-300 more LP4-3's.

I agree, however you may want to consider Primer and maybe your cocpit paint. The kits are very complete and builds VERY FAST!!

I think you have enough repeat rivets, so if you mess one up you can use another. You will have time to replace it before you need the one you used. In most cases, I am sure their may be an exception.

If You Have the $ to Burn

I would be very nice to have 3 micro-stop countersink cages. One for #30 bit, one for #40 bit and the third for the #30 120 degree bit. Also be nice to have 2-3 squeezers so you do not have to change the dies so often (though this is far less time consuming than changing and setting up the countersink bits in the cage).

Last edited:
You can never have too many tools

When I first read how many tools Jim Cone had, I thought he had gone overboard. Now that I am building my 12 I totally agree. I have 2 rivet squeezers, and wish I had 3. The Avery squeezer is very sturdy, and I have it set up for rivets. I also have the stainless steel one, which I use for dimpling. I agree with Marty that a second micro-stop CS tool would be helpful. A guy a couple of hanger over loaned me a bunch of the side clamp clecos, and it is worh having them. He also gave me an air cleco tool, it is very helpful for the wings.
As far as parts, I wouldn't order any just yet. I did order extra rivets, and wish I had held off. Van's gives you enough. You will probably have to order a replacement part or two and can get anything you need then The slowest and most tedious part of the project is smoothing and deburring. I could not live w/o my scotchbrite wheels. Get a 6" and at least 3 of the 1" I also got 6 3" wheels on EBAY for $10, and use them a lot.

extras

Another 12 MK-319-BS structural pop rivets.
Another 12 ring terminals, 14-16 and 18-22 sizes.
The fuel pump for your engine (carbed or injected).
A roll of UNMV tape.
Quart kit of Proseal.
An extra nose wheel inner tube for the A models.
The Koger canopy sunshade.
The lightweight airplane cover.
Instruments
ELT / strobe mounts
Lighting kits

Steve

Back