What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else to order when getting wings

jtrollin

Well Known Member
So I am getting ready to order the wing kit soon and wanted to know if there was anything else I should order at the same time. I know I want a heated pitot tube and am going to want an auto pilot. Are things things I will need during the wing construction?

thanks,

Wing kit extras

Depending on what extras you plan on installing, much of it is more convenient to install during construction. The pitot tube and autopilot you already identified. The roll servo installs in the wing and is alot easier to do before skinning the wing. Same with the heated pitot. I went with the Gretz and installed the relay board on rib before skinning the wing. Other things to think about are leading edge lights and an angle of attack system if you so choose. Hope this helps a little.

Eric Kallio

A suggestion

When you get to the point of running the conduits for the wires, use a fairly large size conduit, even if you are only running a couple of wires now.

It would not hurt to run an extra conduit for that matter. I would run a conduit from the root to the servo area, just for the servo wiring.

New stuff comes along all the time, putting in the conduit now makes it simple to add something later ----- in my case, APHRS, and leading edge lights, as well as the servo wires-----all added after the fact.

Depending on what extras you plan on installing, much of it is more convenient to install during construction. The pitot tube and autopilot you already identified. The roll servo installs in the wing and is alot easier to do before skinning the wing. Same with the heated pitot. I went with the Gretz and installed the relay board on rib before skinning the wing. Other things to think about are leading edge lights and an angle of attack system if you so choose. Hope this helps a little.

Eric Kallio

Would it be better to leave the bottom skins off until later in the build. I would hate to buy something like an autopilot now and have it be outdated by the time I get this thing flying.

You'll need pro-seal for the tanks, primer, if you plan on using primer on the interior parts. Landing lights?

Get proseal later

Hi,

I'd wait with the proseal until you really need it. It has a limited shelf life, I ordered mine in March and in expires in April?!? If it's stored reasonably cool you it will stay good for quite some time, for the tank sealing job I'd like it to be as fresh as I can however.

Mario

wing skins

Just like everything else waiting to put on the lower wing skin is personal preference. There are a dozen ways to skin the cat. What I did, and it is merely one way not the best way just my way, is that I installed the AOA system, autopilot servo, leading edge landing lights, and pitot tube relay board. You can buy the autopilot servos...which are pretty common across a particular manufacturer's systems, then wait to get the control head until you are ready to do the panel.

In each wing I ran 2 sets of 1 inch plastic conduit and in the left wing I ran the plastic tubing for the pitot tube. With the conduit ran, I went ahead and ran wire to the wingtip for the wingtip strobes and the com and nav antennas in the wingtips. I also ran 2 pieces of string in each conduit to pull through more wires at a later time. Then I skinned the wings. This leaves me with finished wings and when I am ready to run the wires all I have to do is pull them through. I have several pics of this scattered across my build site if it will help. Check out Deems and Tim Olson's pages as well. They have a lot of pics and good information on their sites.

http://websites.expercraft.com/scout019/

Eric Kallio

Just a quick note on the string in the conduit. If you put string in the empty conduit it will get in the way while you build.....something always gets caught on it.....but as long as the conduit is empty it only takes a second to run a string down it no matter how much it bends. Just tie a small piece of cloth to the end of the sting, hook your vacuum cleaner, or as we call the shop vac R2D2, to the other end of the conduit and let it rip. Tie off or hold on the string or you might pull the whole roll through, it goes fast.

Once you start pulling wire, always pull a piece of string with it until you know your are done. You know when you are done because the conduit will be full and you will be kicking yourself for not putting more conduit in while you were building......

Back