What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What else do I need?

Greenley

Well Known Member
Have a RV-10 tail kit being delived this week. Just realized I should have ordered some proseal along with that. Before I place my order with Vans for the proseal, is there anything else I should be getting from them?
Thanks

Think through what will be in the tail cone when you are done.

I would add some snap bushings for the wiring to the back of the plane. As a minimum, you will have elevator trim, position light wiring, strobe light wiring, and you may want to have a rudder trim system also, and a tail cam?? All these need to be considered when running the wiring---- maybe get some of the corrugated loom they sell in addition to the snap bushings. Strobe leads from a central power supply are usually run separate from things that are sensitive to electronic noise------tail cam feed for one.

AHRS, going to be in the tail cone???

Strobe power pack???

ELT????

All these need a place to mount, and wiring run to/from them.

Vans sells mounts for the ELT/Strobe power unit, they seem to be a nice unit.

Are you going to etch/alodyne?? Primer???

Lots to think about.

Chosen my primer, but I see that are still lot of other things to consider. I hadn't thought nearly far enough ahead. I guess I better get studying.

It doesn't matter how much research and thinking you do. There is a rule that 30s after you submit your order, you will think of something else you need :eek:

It doesn't matter how much research and thinking you do. There is a rule that 30s after you submit your order, you will think of something else you need :eek:

Yeah, that's probably the reason the response list has been pretty short to this one. There's no answer that's right and you will never get everything you need. You won't even get close even if you thought you had purchased everything you needed.

The best way is to get started and order parts/supplies about every 2 weeks for the items you think you'll need next. You'll end up placing several orders through out.

Phil

Mike,

Shouldn't the AHRS wait until the avionics stage? Technology can change a bit by then.

Mike,

Shouldn't the AHRS wait until the avionics stage? Technology can change a bit by then.

Sure, but I am just trying to get him thinking of what to plan for.

The AHRS will need a wiring run, and a mounting location----these are what I was referring to.

First, don't worry too much about maybe having forgotten something with your tail kit order. There's not really anything that can't be installed later when an epiphany occurs and you realize that you need some sort of this or that.

Now, just food for thought, some things to consider:

- VOR antenna placement (if using a Cat Whisker). If up high in the VS, might want to go ahead and buy some conduit, if down low under the HS might want to buy some extra .025 or .032 sheet to make a doubler out of. Why you're at it, you might want to go ahead and pick up a good length of 3/4" x 3/4" angle which can be used to fab a lot of things.

- Extra nutplates and screws if you decide to mount fairings with screws vs. blind rivets

- Fiberglass supplies (epoxy, cloth, cutters, mixing materials, flox, micro, etc) Of course this can wait until much later in the build.,

- Static vents if using something other than Van's rivet method

- Something to mark off torqued bolts (ie Torque Seal but nail polish will do)

Back