What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What edge rolling tool works the best for you?

rv9aviator

Well Known Member
It's a little late for this since I'm on the downhill side of my fuselage, but I have never been able to get consistant results with the edge rolling tool I own. I won't say what brand because I'm not here to bash anyones products. I would just like to hear what has worked the best for other builders, especially if you've used more than one type. I need to roll the edges on the top skins to get a good fit and would like to buy something that works better than what I have.

Gary Bricker

I have one I got at SNF. I think industrial tool. It is a pair of vise grips with rollers welded on them. It works great because you have better control.

I always used that "round one", with the two little wheels attached, and got good results. Just hang the edge of the skin over the edge of a work bench. Perhaps that's what you have? :D

L.Adamson

less is better

I never liked the look of the fuselage turtledeck with the edge rolled and rivets on the crease line of the rolled edge. I haven't rolled any edges on my RV-7A and am very happy with the way all of the panel seams snugged up when riveted. There are a few areas where the edge rolling might be a good idea but for me less was better.

Steve Eberhart
RV-7A, Lycoming O-360-A1A, Classic Aero interior, no rolled edges. Just ordered the last major piece needed to put this baby in the air (a GTX 327)

I never liked the look of the fuselage turtledeck with the edge rolled and rivets on the crease line of the rolled edge. I haven't rolled any edges on my RV-7A and am very happy with the way all of the panel seams snugged up when riveted. There are a few areas where the edge rolling might be a good idea but for me less was better.

The trick is to roll just enough without getting a crease line. More than not, I was able to meet that objective. Still a few slight creases, though.

L.Adamson

Hand Seamer

I recently riveted on my fwd top skin (RV7 Tipper) and had already dimpled the rivet holes. So I used my hand seamer to lightly bend the edge right at the middle of the rivet holes. Did a great job and didn't un-dimple any holes.

Like L.Adamson says... just roll enough without getting a crease line.

Wood stick method

I've got the Cleaveland edge roller with the two little wheels on vise grip pliers and it works very well. I have had occasion, however, to just use a small piece of oak (say 1" wide x 3/8" thick x 6" lg) with a 1/4" deep slot cut into the end of it. Just stick the slot onto the edge of the sheet, bend it down to the angle you want your seam go have, and pull it along the edge.

Mike Cencula
RV-7A Fuse

Another vote for the hand seamer. I inherited the rolling tool welded to the vise grip, but can't figure out how to make it work properly. Results are great with the hand seamer.

-Rob

Another vote for the hand seamer. I inherited the rolling tool welded to the vise grip, but can't figure out how to make it work properly. Results are great with the hand seamer.

-Rob

I also used the hand seamer and have gotten very good results. Just don't crease the metal.

Karl

My vote is to not do it at all. I have the vise grip one and never got consistent results with it. I stopped doing it way back and have never had a problem with edges of skins lifting up.

Choices, Choices

The choice of tool type comes down to personal preference. Guess which one I prefer. :)

Back