What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What doesn't the kit include?

RayJay

I think I'm going to buy a kit from a guy locally, and I'm trying to wrap my head around what else I will need for it. Obviously engine, prop, avionics, interior, etc. The stuff I'm not sure about are the smaller items that's still required to have a working airplane. Van's website mentions that brake cylinders and lines are included, but what about the fuel system, is any of that included? What about exhaust, cabin heaters, scat tubing, that kind of thing.

What kind of "I didn't know I needed that" stuff did you run into?

I think I'm going to buy a kit from a guy locally, and I'm trying to wrap my head around what else I will need for it. Obviously engine, prop, avionics, interior, etc. The stuff I'm not sure about are the smaller items that's still required to have a working airplane. Van's website mentions that brake cylinders and lines are included, but what about the fuel system, is any of that included? What about exhaust, cabin heaters, scat tubing, that kind of thing.

You will find that you need tons of random bits and pieces, but the fuel and heating systems are included. Unless you want to get on the upgrade hamster wheel. The FWF kit includes a ton of miscellaneous stuff like baffles, hoses, cables, exhaust, etc.

I’m up to the finish kit and these are a few I can think of: Stick grips. Electric aileron trim. There’s a couple of SB kits you may or may not need. If it’s a taildragger, the steps are an option. Better static ports / better lines. Pitot tube. External lighting. Baggage tie down points. Upgraded brake lines over the nylon compression ones which come with the kit. JDAir canopy latch.

Paint. Budget $10k if you do it. That's what I have in mine. Sky's the limit if you hire it out. I have about 250 hrs in mine and I am a semi pro having done many cars and motorcycles.
Misc Hardware like nuts, bolts, screws.... Budget $1000
Shipping. Budget $2-3k
ELT
I went with after market fuel pump and filters. $500
Beringer brakes. $2000
Wingtip landing lights, strobes and position lights. $2000
Pre-bent fuel lines FWF and cabin and wiring harnesses. Budget $2000

I know I've forgotten a bunch, but these are obvious things. Add another $2-4k for contingencies, at least.

If I total up everything I have $170k in my -14A with slow build everything except wings.

Hope that helps.

S

If you order a crate Lycoming IO-390 and the Van's RV-14 firewall forward kit, you will probably have everything you need to get fuel, air, and spark to the engine other than switches for magnetos, master, and starter. There are a bunch of little things you'll need to figure out on your own, including the main wiring harness (which you can order premade or roll your own). The interior that comes with the kit is spartan to the extreme but serviceable to get flying, especially if you wear a backpack parachute and find a pad to sit on. The biggest thing to figure out on your own is the instrument panel, which is another thing you can get as much or as little help with as you want. Other electrical stuff like lights are also a builder's responsibility. And there are many upgrades you should consider because they can save time or headaches during your build, but they're not required to get the plane in the air.

Back