What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What do I do next?

Lionclaw

Well Known Member
010.JPG

I feel like I'm getting stuck and I need some direction. I can't fit the tail/wings until I move to a hangar, and I'm trying to put that off as long as possible.

My panel and avionics decisions aren't finalized yet, so I don't want to close anything up in front. Time to sit down and finalize electrical/panel?

The two huge tasks I see ahead are the canopy and the cowl. Can I start either of these without having the front buttoned up?

Time to install the roll bar and begin massaging the canopy frame into shape?

Any advice would be appreciated! I realize I'm already doing things out of order by not installing the tail, but I'd like to try and organize the final tasks so that they interfere with each other as little as possble.

Canopy and cowl can be done easily without the forward top skin on. They should easily keep you busy all summer and then some. Good luck.

Agreed, all you have to do is cleco the forward skin on to fit the cowl, which leads to fitting the prop, spinner, and the nosegear fairings.

On the canopy, you can fit either canopy with the top fuse skin cleco'd on, but won't be able to finish the fixed portion of the slider.

One thing, though... Why not go ahead and fit the wings, rig the controls, etc. before going to the airport? Unless removing/refitting the main gear is a showstopper, why not just pick a nice day and attach/drill fit everything in the driveway.

My experience is that everything slows down by a factor of about 5 once you move to the airport. You'll have the wrong tools, may not have fast access to the bathroom, and may not have access to VAF or the Matronics archives for quick info, etc...

What's stopping you from fitting the tail/wings? I fit my tail in my garage (http://www.flion.com/rv6a/chap55.htm) and drug the fuselage out while it was still an upside-down canoe to fit the wings (http://www.flion.com/rv6a/chap43.htm). Seems to me the -9 would be easier since you can do the wings much faster than I could and you have the advantage of having wheels to roll it around on. I know it stands taller than the -6A, but you could fit the vertical stab outside and then remove it for final assembly later.

Mate the wings

if you have enough space and help. It's A job. Leave that mental pressure behind you (it was kind of stressful for me). Unless if you are absolutely positively sure everything fits right and all edge distances are within tolerances.

Edit: reread your post you said you do not have room to fit the wings. But I saw your airplane outside and there was A LOT of space... just time it right

Last edited:
you asked so...

my comments would be to pull it out and mate the wings. its a great feeling to get that done. i would then get started on the canopy...tons of work and with that engine already hung and waiting to work...better get plugging away. slow going on that but got to do it. i am just the opposite of you, the entire plane tail, wings, canopy, tips etc, and even wheel pants are pretty much done. really really need an engine and a panel. oshkosh will be expensive this year.

Great site you have there Patrick

What's stopping you from fitting the tail/wings? I fit my tail in my garage

Hey that's a great site you have provided me a link to. I'm just getting into my 6A fuselage and your site is going to really help out. Thanks:D

Do you have enough of your panel/ avionics thought out that you can start some of the basic electrical distribution system? Are you doing fuses blocks or breakers? Have you chosen a core architecture (i.e Z-13 from Aeroelectric)?

Jim

when to attach top forward skin?

I'm a bit behind Andy - I don't have the engine hung yet... but I was planning on mating wings & tail first in the garage, then removing both and doing the sliding canopy then engine then cowl.

My question is regarding the top forward skin. How long can that be left off? I saw a plane (slider) at Boone this weekend that had the avionics completely installed without the top skin on. Access sure was easy. I think the plan was to do all the wiring, etc, then remove the panel and avionics boxes and rivet the skin on.

Is this a good idea? Obviously I'd have to be careful to preserve rivet bucking access during the wiring.

Dave (and others),

My advice is to not rivet on the forward top skin until the absolute last minute. Leaves access that makes a lot of stuff much easier. Also you might consider putting a couple access panels in the forward top skin - easy to do and I've already used them a couple of times and was very happy to have that access.

I agree that hanging the wings is a good idea early on. I would also suggest that if you have the wing root fairings that you match drill them to the wing roots at the same time. This will save you one on/off wing cycle. If you do this you only have to put the wings on twice - once for the initial fit and wing root fairings, and once at final assembly.

Consider also fitting the tail assembly while the weather is good (I'm assuming its nicer now than winter). You can remove it and store for final assembly when you ultimately move to the airport.

Starting work on the canopy and/or cowl is also an option and both are probably easier to work with in the summer than winter (especially the canopy).

Probably also a lot of other little bits and pieces you could do when you have an hour or two, like fitting the NACA vents (better not to install permanently until later, those holes are useful for access). Make a list of these little things for the days you have limited time and want to see progress.

my 2c

greg

Question on fitting the wings. I have the QB wings and fuselage. I have not put on the last bottom skin on the wings and I would love to leave that until I get all the electronics and other plumbing done.

Can you (should you) fit the wings without the bottom skin on? (thankfully I have enough space in the garage to make it all work.)

Wow, lots of good advice. Mounting the tail shouldn't be too big of a deal. I can just wheel the fuse back a bit and mount it outside. I'll have to wait for a good weekend to pull the fuse out and install the wings. I'll probably spend more time fending off neighbors than doing any real work ;)

I haven't picked a wiring architecture yet, but I think I'll be using fuses. Aeroelectric Connection will be in my next spruce order.

In the mean time I guess our evening work will be to get the canopy/cowl installed. I definitely want to get it done before it gets cold again!

Thanks for all the great input!

Back